Thread: My nose hurts

Default My nose hurts

So before I go to work I always walk past my garden then my hives then my animals to make sure everyone is OK. Never had a problem but today.....a bee flew right at me and stung the tip of my nose! On the good side I have never been able to breath with my nose before now it's great bad side my nose is bright red and sore.

Oh well such is life

Default Re: My nose hurts

I can go through most of my hives (sometimes without a veil) for hours and be totally ignored, not get stung or even bumped. Later that very same day I can be passing by the hives about 10 feet away to work the garden and get nailed in the face.

Weird!
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

I'm wondering how often this happens to folks? I don't have any hives yet but am looking to doing it in the future and I do have a small child with another on the way that will be playing in the back yard.

I've been tagged on once while watching the girls coming and going from arms length (off to the side).

I have a two year old and some older girls. They all know to keep there distance unless suited up and we've never had a problem.
    Last edited by Edcrosbys; 07-17-2011 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Stupid autocorrect!

well I can pretty much work mine and hardly ever get zapped ...unless the dog comes close to me they hate my dog and she knows this and never bothers them ......I was sitting watching them yesterday after moveing some brood frames from the main hive into a split and she was sitting across the yars watching and whining wanting me to pet her,I usually tell her not now and she stays away.This time I went oh ok and she ran over ...oh man bee storm.

Quote Originally Posted by Edcrosbys View Post
    I've been tagged on once while watching the girls coming and going from arms length (off to the side).

I have a two year old and some older girls. They all know to keep there distance unless suited up and we've never had a problem.
    Thanks for the reassuarnce. My daughter is really good about not messing where she shouldn't be but because of her love of the outdoors I didn't want to restrict her running room too much.

mlp2147, I'd keep your daughter indoors the day of and the day after harvesting honey. My kids got four stings 50 yards away the day after I harvested. Now I tell them to stay inside for a few hours on days I do A LOT of manipulating and especially on harvest days, just to be on the safe side.
    If I'm neither sanguine, phlegmatic, choleric, nor melancholy, does that mean I'm out of humour?

I keep the kids in when I'm doing hive inspections as well!!
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org