Default Bearding in the Rain

One of my two hives has been bearding for several weeks now. I haven't been too worried about it because I've checked it a couple of times and found no signs of swarm cells; I just blamed it on the heat. I did think it was somewhat honey bound at first, so I replaced a few honey frames in the deeps with foundation only frames. They also usually stay bearded through the night unless it rains, then they go in (possibly because the rain cooled the hive).

Today we got an afternoon shower about the time the bees normally collect at the hive. They didn't bother going in and I suspect some drowned. Now it's almost 11 pm, the temp's dropped, it's raining again...and the bees are still bearding/drowning.

Normal/not normal? Any thoughts?

I almost feel compelled to go sit by them with an umbrella until the rain stops.

Default Re: Bearding in the Rain

Mine do the same thing but only the strongest hives.
    Try living life with the attitude it's not about what you want to do but what you should do!

One of my hives did that for about a week (in cool weather) so I did an inspection and found the queen dead on the bottom board . I combined it with a queen right swarm and it stopped a day later.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Normal/not normal? Any thoughts?
    Normal!

I almost feel compelled to go sit by them with an umbrella until the rain stops.
    I honestly think that really wont be necessary, i think they will do just fine on their own!! They have survived for along time now!

Well, it looks like most of them survived the rain. I'll check inside tomorrow to see how things look again. Thanks folks.

A little bit of rain won't hurt them. If it bothered them they would go inside. Watch some of the package installs on youtube where people spend 10 minutes spraying the crap out of the bees with syrup. If that doesn't do them in, a little rain won't.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteBridwell View Post
    Well, it looks like most of them survived the rain. I'll check inside tomorrow to see how things look again. Thanks folks.
    Let us know what you find. Look for the queen or signs that she's still kicking
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

I've had this happen here too when it's been hot. The thing that suck is that sometimes a bunch of 'em drown if it's hard rain. The humidity on top of the heat seems to get to be too much in there.

Hasn't been hot enough here to get any bearding yet this year.

Adam