Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Minnesota Dreaming?

It's really, really hot and just plain ridiculous and awful here in fine old Oklahoma I usually head to Southern Colorado or New Mexico for a week to get out of the heat. However, the places I usually go in Colorado are rated as severe drought territIory.

It occurred to me that maybe I could head North. I've never been North of Chicago, and I went there in winter both times. I don't really know what to expect or where to go. I'm thinking Minnesota for some reason, but North Dakota would work too. I'd like to find a secluded, quiet woodsy place somewhere to pitch a tent and rent a boat on a lake, fish and let the rugrats swim.

Generally, is this a good/bad idea?

How hot is is likely to be in central to north Minnesota in early August? I don't want to drive 13 hours to camp in 95 degree weather. I could deal with a high in the upper 80s if it cools down at night. I don't like to sleep in a hot tent.

I have heard about misquitos and biting flies being a problem up North. Is that true, and are they around in August? Are there places to stay away from for that reason? Are the flies such a nuisance as to ruin a good day?

Any specific suggestions on places to go in the MN or ND areas?

And advice would be appreciated.

Neil

Default Re: Minnesota Dreaming?

Neil, this was Silverton over the 4th.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...lley070411.jpg
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

We would still welcome you here in the Chicago area. We don't have those little black flies.
    Regards, Barry

And Barry makes excellent beer.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Neil,

Lived and worked as a trip leader out of Ely, MN (all the way up on the Canadian border for the better part of ten years. Early august we can definitely have hot days but rarely topping 90 and when you have lakes all around it is just easier to deal with. Plus 90 with forests and green around is always different than 90 with baked dirt or asphalt and concrete.

Bugs can be an issue still and it has been a wet summer. I have not heard if they are having horrendous insects. However by august bug populations are usually on the decline.

Hope this helps.

Yuuki

Hope you have fun....as long as the grass keeps growing and the bees are alive i have to stay. Plus I would have to come up with the moola. Dream on Mike.
    It has been in 105 range in the afternoons...its killing me mowing out in this heat.
    mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

it's 40 degrees at my house every morning, mid 80's most afternoons, surrounded by forest service and state land, along a blue ribbon trout stream. but there are only hundreds of places just like that between here and canada, then it really starts getting nice. there is still snow on the peaks.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
    I've never been North of Chicago, and I went there in winter both times. I don't really know what to expect or where to go. I'm thinking Minnesota for some reason, but North Dakota would work too. I'd like to find a secluded, quiet woodsy place somewhere to pitch a tent and rent a boat on a lake, fish and let the rugrats swim.

Generally, is this a good/bad idea?
    Minnesota? North Dakota? Really?, I mean the people are nice but they talk funny and those states are, well... kind of boring.

Dude, it's "California Dreaming" , not Minnesota Dreaming !!!
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    Minnesota? North Dakota? Really?, I mean the people are nice but they talk funny and those states are, well... kind of boring.

Dude, it's "California Dreaming", not Minnesota Dreaming
    They talk funny in Minn., but they ACT funny in California. On 5 from Sacramento to the Oregon border, my wife and I and youngest daughter saw people urinating by the side of the road 7 times that one day.
    Out of a 10,359 mile around the states trip, California is the only place we saw that. But, the only place I slept with my pistol under my pillow was in Pennsylvania.

Neil, go to Lake Superior, and travel the north shore from Duluth. The Lake itself never really warms up. The water stays in the 40's year round, and there are campsites along the route. If you drive all the way up you can even peer at Canadians! There are plenty of things for the rugrats to do. Duluth has a cool zoo built into the hill; a really good aquarium with 6 foot sturgeon; An inland port with massive ships moving iron ore. There are bugs and heat away from the Lake, but nothing beats sitting on the rocks on the shore and hearing the gentle lapping of the waves on the gravel., while the kids mess around by the water.

Adrian is right. The north shore of Lake Superior is very nice. Have traveled that route to Canada three times. Door County, WI is closer, not as wild, but still offers places to be next to the lake and camp.
    Regards, Barry

The boundary waters canoe area in northeastern Minnesota is an incredible getaway. No motorized vehicles of any type are allowed over most of the area. Lots of camping sites there, though I think reservations may be required. Usually cools down nicely in the evenings. All vehicles are inspected coming into Minnesota, they won't let you enter without insect repellant....ufffda.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by ArkansasBK View Post
    They talk funny in Minn., but they ACT funny in California. On 5 from Sacramento to the Oregon border, my wife and I and youngest daughter saw people urinating by the side of the road 7 times that one day.
    Out of a 10,359 mile around the states trip, California is the only place we saw that. But, the only place I slept with my pistol under my pillow was in Pennsylvania.
    Those were probably visiting Oregonians so excited to see our great state they couldn't hold it!!!
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

I'll have to second the Boundary Water Canoe Area! It is a great place to get away from the world, excellent fishing and something new always around the corner or across the next portage.

Anywhere in the northern half of MN/WI/MI would fit the bill. There is lots of sightseeing too. Headwaters of the Mississippi near Bemidji, etc.

Tom

I will agree with you folks on Minnesota. We stopped in Lakeville and looked up a fellow Viet Vet. He took us on a day trip up to the northern area. Beautiful! Can't remember where all we went, but it looked like some good fishing. That was back in '88.

Neil -

Don't be fooled by all those suggesting the Boundary Waters. It is no simple "pull the car up to a campsite" type of place. You'll have to portage to get to any of the lakes. May be more than what you're after, I don't know. It's been many years since I was on those lakes, but I doubt much has changed. The experience is being on the lakes, not so much the campsite where the rugrats go swimming.
    Regards, Barry

ill second justin. come to Montana. go to northwestern montana for the trees and lakes. 50-60 at night 80's during the day. nice and sunney. its the best time of the year to be here right now. we have had a ton of rain so everything is green with white capped peaks yet. the rivers are just starting to clear up for fishing.

Not trying to "fool anyone" and Barry is quite correct it may be more than what you are looking for. However, it is an adventure and very worthwhile one if you are up to it and want to truly get away from it all. On the other hand if you are looking for the "KOA experience" better stay away from the BWCA.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Neil -

Don't be fooled by all those suggesting the Boundary Waters. It is no simple "pull the car up to a campsite" type of place. You'll have to portage to get to any of the lakes. May be more than what you're after, I don't know. It's been many years since I was on those lakes, but I doubt much has changed. The experience is being on the lakes, not so much the campsite where the rugrats go swimming.
    You can actually do both. Some of the larger access lakes have lodges and do allow boats with motors. If you want a wilderness experience you can do the canoe/portage/primitive camping thing too.

Most lakes in the northern half of MN/WI will have what you are looking for.

Tom

Thanks for all these suggestions. I do think the Boundary Waters may be a bit much for taking along a 4 year old.

Does anybody have some suggestions on specific lakes where I could camp and rent a boat?

Neil