Default This just chaps my hive!

It sounds like the New York apiary inspector has never had bees himself, if that is who is doing the inspection. Just one more reason to keep your hives out of sight.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/07/...ring-his-hive/

Default Re: This just chaps my hive!

I can't decide if this was truly ignorance or just a squalid attempt to get money?
    4.5 hives of Italians. 2 seasons of experience. And you-- yes, you! You're my mentor!

Wow, $2000 for not "watering his bees".............I could imagine that the pit bull fighters and crack dealers must have much larger fines, right?LMAO

Thats really sad........but then again I live in California where this could happen very easily, after all, I pay almost $400 a year on my vehicle registration for a 2005 Ford F-150, and I am thinking of buying a Baja rig so I can drive comfortably on these crappy pothole infested roads!!

The NY inspector was not a NY State Apiary Inspector. NY City must have someone, or some other type of inspector who was noted. NYS Ag and Mkts doesn't regulate how bees are treated by their owners. There is nothing in State Law about providing water or any other food.

This is quite silly.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

If a waterer two feet away is not "watering" them, I'd be curious to know what was expected.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I'd like to see the actual code the inspector used as justification for the fine. In particular if "watering is defined" or does this fall under some general clause. I'd also like to know how a city employee can "fine" anyone without due process. I only believe 50% of what I read in the paper to start with.

My guess is there is more to the story. And if the article is 100% accurate the root cause could very well be a poorly written code or policy and an inspector's interpretation of it.

If you go to the link posted in the article it will take you to another story regarding a swarm. Just a guess on my part but perhaps the city is worried about bees congregating in areas of concern due to water forage. An old story most are aware can cause issues.

Link to second story: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/06/...new-york-city/

Now in the second article there is a statement that the "Health Department" made it legal for them to keep bees. If that is true then why the heck does the health department have any legislative authority to make anything legal or not. Like the EPA and OSHA and the others. I'll stop here so as not to make this a political issue regarding separation of powers other than to say those that enforce laws should not be the same persons that write laws.
    Last edited by MDS; 07-15-2011 at 11:07 PM.
    Try living life with the attitude it's not about what you want to do but what you should do!

I'm sure the Health Dept. didn't make anything legeal. Since when does a regulatory agency have the authority to develope and establish its' own Laws. This is something done by Legislative bodies or maybe City Councils maybe? It is my understanding that Mayor Giullianii was responsible for regulations prohibiting the keeping of bees in NYC, as well as tigers(?).
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

I am glad the he changed it to a warning but he should have also fired the inspector. A citizen should be able to expect a minimum amount of intelligence, respect and discretion from a public employee, particularly one that can dole out punishments. This inspector is grossly deficient in at least one of those three.
    Thanks,
    Will

This type of thing is the reason so many people and businesses are leaving states like
    New York, California, Illinois
    It is simply a scheme to steal more money from their citizens

How many threads do we need on this topic?

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...watering-bees!
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ring-his-bees!

Just sayin'...

(Maybe the Mods could combine them.)

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    If a waterer two feet away is not "watering" them, I'd be curious to know what was expected.
    A modest drizzling-over with a water can? *shrug*