Default swarm question? I need some advice.

I was called to remove a swarm of bees off a retail store last week that was on there eve. 35 ft up, lol. it was a high retrieve, but i managed to get them down safely. they said the bees had been there for about one and a half weeks. they had built some honey comb on the out side of the building. then two days before I removed them they left there honey comb moved 100 feet and built a new comb. My question is should i have expected there to bee eggs in the honey comb from a swarm like that if there was a queen in the swarm or not. there was no eggs. just a little honey. the bees were calm and friendly. so I hope i have a queen with them. they are now in a hive and doing great. still friendly. but im not sure if i have a queen.

Default Re: swarm question? I need some advice.

Wow! I'd like to know how you got them at 35 feet up! Did you use a cherry picker or some such?

If they are calm and friendly, I'd expect the queen to be there too. How long have they been in the new hive? Are they on foundation, or having to build cells from scratch?

Hi Oregon,
    If the original hive swarmed, and that's what you got, they have to develop cells while the queen gets back into laying form. 10 days or so might do it, but just. If they are starting from scratch, I wouldn't expect to see eggs on new cells for a couple weeks.
    But you really have no idea whether you have a swarm or an afterswarm.
    If it's an afterswarm and they left with a virgin queen, while they draw out cells the queen will have to go off and get mated and then she'll return to the newly build hive and start, after a slight period of adjustment, to lay. This could take two to four weeks.
    If your bees seem happy, I would be too. A swarm without a queen is not likely to stick around for 10 days.

Yeah i used a 24 ft ladder and a long pipe on the end of my vac to get them down. Lol kinda hooky but it worked. thanks for the advice. I hope there is a queen. I put them in a hive last Saturday night. I had some drawn comb in it and they are mainly working on those frames with the comb already built on it. they seem to have excepted the new hive as they are going about there business nicely. I figured I should wait about two weeks then see if I have any eggs or brood yet. I have heard its not good to bother them to much at first. It was a good size swarm. i would guess 4+ pounds of bees. they are much darker than my Italians. some of them are almost black. I'm thinking they might be carnolians, but i am not sure.

Good for you! It sounds as if everything is going great.

I'm due to start another cut-out on Monday, so will be thinking about your 35' episode. I will only be 15' up, with a scaffold.