Default Any Idea what this is??

I felt like them guys on the picker show this afternoon. Long story short Older fellow got out of the beekeeping and when he was doing it he ran over 250 hives. All his stuff is stored in a huge barn out of the weather and off the ground. I could have stayed for days going thru stuff but didnt have time today but he told me to come back on a rainy day and we go thru it all. I did happen to see this laying on top of a box. I know it has something to do with grafting queens but why the queen excluder on one side. Can someone tell me about this and how it is used. He said he had alot of queen rearing stuff somewhere but that he never got into it. He is going to look around for it said he had all the tools and all kinds of queen cages. I cant wait till it rains the bad part about this he has a small farm buiness and he can take credit cards didnt tell the wife lol. Any help would be great on this he gave it to me and told me to let him know if I found out what it was for.

not very big picture here is a link to the picture so its bigger
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...queenframe.jpg

Default Re: Any Idea what this is??

The link you have to the picture is the same thumbnail size. Try again?
    4.5 hives of Italians. 2 seasons of experience. And you-- yes, you! You're my mentor!

The picture is of a "Cell Bar Frame" used for Queen Rearing, the frame you have needs one more crossbar.
    Page 54 WT Kelley shows this frame.

I kinda new it was a queen frame cause there is cups on the two bars that is with it. I was just wondering why the queen excluder on one side??

Don't know why there's an excluder on one side, but I'll tell you right now it won't work with virgin queens. They're not much larger than a worker and can go right through an excluder.

Fish is right about that!!!

Could be wrong but I'll hazard a guess, perhaps whoever built it wanted to do a graft then put it into a queenright hive, so if it had an excluder both sides it would keep the queen out.

Never seen one of those and also the cell spacing seems extremely wide, so may be something completely different, I don't know.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by fish_stix View Post
    Don't know why there's an excluder on one side, but I'll tell you right now it won't work with virgin queens. They're not much larger than a worker and can go right through an excluder.
    Actually the thorax on a queen is full grown when a queen hatches and normally can't go through an excluder. However, if you have a queen that was reared from a three day old larvae and has a tiny thorax then she might be able to get through. A queen reared from a one day or younger larvae has a much larger thorax than a worker and can't go through an excluder.