Thread: Honey bottler

Default Honey bottler

I'm still using 5-gallon buckets with honey gates to bottle. I bottle at room temperature and it works for me.

I am considering a water-jacketed, heated bottler. How many of you use one of these? What temperature do you keep the heater? What size do you use?

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Default Re: Honey bottler

I have two 25 gallon/300lb Maxant Bottling Tanks. I love them. Especially the new dripless spout. I like the old thermometer better. It's easiert to read than the new one.

I only have heat on it when I am going to use it. Though I will have it set low over night so it doesn't take so long to get up to temp the next morning.

I warm my honey to 140 degrees in the one tank, so I can liquify what is crystalized and strain the honey thru a nylon cloth. Then the honey goes into the other tank for bottling at 110 degrees.

I unplug the tanks when not in use. I haven't installed the new heat controllers yet. Maybe they will completely shut off when turned down all the way. Pulliung the plug gaurantees no heat.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I warm my honey to 140 degrees in the one tank, so I can liquify what is crystalized and strain the honey thru a nylon cloth. Then the honey goes into the other tank for bottling at 110 degrees.
    How do you transfer honey from one tank to the other? I like the sound of your set up.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

I warm the honey in one tank and strain that honey into buckets thru nylon cloth. Then the honey is dumped manually into the second bottling tank.

Just make sure you have a pail perch to ease the pain! No one likes holding a bucket waiting for every last bit to drain!
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

Oh yeah. I forgot to mention those. I have four. Two for each tank.

I like the ones I got from Maxant, but really prefer the ones I already had. They are made w/ two straight L shaped parts for the bucket to stand on. I don't put the bucket down in the crook of the L but up on the end of the L, which keeps honey off of the Perch, mostly.

Both kind work well for me.

I also find a good spatula is necassary to get the last of the honey from the bucket. And, for buckets of crystallized or partialy crystalized honey I have an aluminum Ice Cream Paddle. Which is much better than a spoon. Which I have used also.

I have the small Maxant (15 Gal.?). Have used it for 3-4 years. LOVE it. I keep the temp about 110 while bottling but unplug it when not bottling.

I just bought the Walter T. Kelley jacketed tank, so what I'm hearing is great news. I plan to build a bottling table out of 2x4's and plywood, with shelves under the tank. Will have the tank set on top, and two fold-up shelves set lower in front of it. I can sit between the two shelves, empty bottles on the left, fill, put them on the shelf on the right. When not in use, I fold down the shelves, and roll the tank out of the way.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

I have a Maxant 25gal bottling tank.
    It does double duty.
    I don't use any heat when bottling honey....unless the honey has crystallized. Then I'll heat to about 130.
    I also use it to mix sugar/syrup. For 1:1 I add 12gal of water (3gal pail x 4), heat to about 150 F, pour in 100lbs of sugar, stir and allow it to cool. Makes about 20 gallons of syrup. I 'bottle' my syrup into 1 gallon baggies....a bit more than half a gallon in each.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards