Default keep spare queen

how long can i keep a queen in a small shipping box? right now i have it between frames in top of a honey super on a very strong hive corks in the holes of box so she cant get out.

Default Re: keep spare queen

Does she have attendants, if so they will eat some of the candy and therefore it won't last as long. If you are talking 2-3 days lay her in a cool dry, sorta dark area in the house and give her or them some water every day. I like to cut a q- tip, soak it in water and lay it on the cage. The old 3 hole screened cage is, in my opinion better for this than the plastic jzbz cage but will still work. While she is in the hive they may or may not attend to her, depending on her acceptance. They must have access to her while in the hive so they can feed her thru the screen. I'm no expert, but I haven't told you anything wrong. Good luck
    So much to learn, so little time!!

yes she has a few bees with her! its a little wood box and yes they can get too feed her! it would be a great way to keep a spare!

If she is in a queenright hive they will try to kill her. They will probably not feed her. You can't bank queens in a queenright hive. The pheromones are differient. I would bet if you take her out there will be a ball of bees on the cage trying to kill her. Hope they haven't succeded. Sorry not what you wanted to hear but a fact.
    So much to learn, so little time!!

valley man you have a point! i just ran half mile with flashlight in hand the queen seems fine its alive! put her in 7 days ago. has any one else ever tried this? not a good idea to check bees with a flashlight!

A nuc makes a great life support system for a queen. You can even use her and let the nuc make a new queen. Very handy to have around.
    When you stop learning you're dead.