Default Is there a wrong time to breed queens in north florida?

North Florida on the Georgia line. Is there a wrong time of the season to try and breed queens?

Default Re: Is there a wrong time to breed queens in north florida?

I don't think there is a wrong time. As long as you have drones you can get a queen mated. We will start getting drones in Feb. and will have them into Nov. I seem to have a few hives that keep them all winter long. If you are asking about this time of year? You can easily breed some now. All you need are drones and a window for the queen to take her mating flight. Which we can have all year sometimes. Its just not as easy in the winter time but, it could happen even then around here.

The bee workshop at USF is queen rearing tomorrow, Saturday July 16th. The Miksa's breed queens almost all year in Groveland, FL.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Yes, there is a wrong time to breed queens in N. Fla. I have produced queens at several times during the year and sure you can get away with it from time to time, but for quality and quantity year around is not acceptable. Food supply and drone populations are critical for quality queens and without the best of the two then you are pushing it.