Default Brushy Mountain Bucket Bee Vac

I have used the Brushy Mountain Bee Vac twice now. I used one that belongs to a Brushy dealer and I used on today that belongs to a friend who just got it. It does a good job of sucking up bees and it can be regulated well.

The pros: lightweight, easy to handle

The cons:
    hard to clean. water will eventually cause the wooden cage to warp and split.
    The wood and wire cage would be better if the screen was nylon and the frame was food-grade polyethylene. I found that bee damage is inevitable but the small diameter of the cage inflicts a lot of impact damage on incoming bees as they hit the wooden frame opposite the inlet.
    The little trap door is poorly designed in that there is no clearance for the door to shut when the hose is removed. Te dead bees get jammed in the hinge space and allows other bees to climb out and enter the cavity between the outside of the cage and the bucket. It would work better if the door was hinged above instead of below, so any dead bees would not get stuck between the hinge joint.

Transferring bees from cage to hive is a chore and unwieldy and the capacity of the cage necessitates several dumps during an extraction. Combined with the problem of loose bees between bucket and cage, this is a real pain.
    i think it work better as an attachment to a 30-gallon trash can that would hold all the bees from an extraction.

I'm glad I got to try this. I would not recommend it. I'm going to build a bee-vac that clamps on a regular deep super with a ramp to minimize damage to the bees.
    Banjos and bees... how sweet it is!

Default Re: Brushy Mountain Bucket Bee Vac

I have used a friends many times . The door hinge is a bit of an issue, but we don't remove the hose often. First time we killed a lot of bees from the heat, I think it is a problem with the motor being right on top and over filling. After that we built several cages to go in it, modeled after original. We can fill three cages pretty quick and when home transfer them to the hive like shaking out a package. When money or time allows I will probably build or buy a Robo Vac.

Default Re: Brushy Mountain Bucket Bee Vac

They say you're only supposed to fill the cage to 1/2 capacity. Then the bees get out when you remove the cage to switch it out. Then you have to shake them after you've already stressed them. I'll pass. The Robo-Vac seems to be the direction I'm heading. An inverter on my truck or my back-up generator will power it when I'm not near 110v AC.
    Banjos and bees... how sweet it is!