Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Lemon grass oil--How often

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  trainwrecker 
#1 ·
How often should I apply the lure scent? One time? Twice?---Depending on rainfall flooding the floor at the entrance maybe. Please advise.
Thanks,
LtlWilli

#6 ·
I use a half opened sandwich bag containing cotton balls or a piece of paper towel with 4 or 5 drops of lemongrass oil soaked in it. I lay the sandwich bag on the floor of the trap near the back. It last forever inside the bag and I never have to re-apply.

I don't think you can use too much. When I first started I was ridiculous about the amount I was using thinking more is better. I soaked paper towels until they were dripping. I rubbed it all over the entrance once a day, etc. They still moved in. I backed off to just what I'm doing now and they still moved it.

Although I have to say I think it was more about the old comb and the "already lived in" box I was using rather than the lemongrass oil.

I had completely forgot to apply lemongrass oil when I set up the bait hive two weeks ago. A huge swarm just moved in. :s

Go figure!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.