Default Who has tried the SidelinerUncapper ??

We are the point in our outfit where we need to consider an uncapper and saw the Sideliner Uncapper on Brushy Mountains web site and watched the video on it. Do any of you have this unit? Does it work as well as it does in the video? How long does it last before it starts failing? Should I just spend the extra money and get one of the chain uncappers from one of the other dealers? Any input would be great.
    Thanks,
    Marc
    life is like a box of chocolates,you never know what you are gonna get

Default Re: Who has tried the SidelinerUncapper ??

My friend has one and it works well if the combs are within a certain temperature range. Too warm, it crushes the cappings and too cool the honey doesn't sling well from the slits.
    Banjos and bees... how sweet it is!

I was hoping that there were more people that has tried it. I may have to bite the bullet and get a chain uncapper.

How many colonies are you running? How much honey are you extracting? I have a friend who runs around 1,000 cols and does all of his uncapping w/ a steam heated hot knife and hive tools.

His main uncapping station, between the extractors, is where they steam knife is. On the outside of each extractor he has a barrel station where a worker uncaps frames into a barrel w/ the hooked end of the hive tool. W/ two people running the honeyhouse, it seems to work well.

How uniform is you equipment? Maybe a small Cowen system would work well for you. I find chain uncappers noisey and hard on the ears. And, unless your frames are in real good condition I have found the Maxant one armed bandit will tear frames and combs apart. And if you have any deep frames to uncap, they won't work well in the Maxant.

Just a few of my thoughts.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

I am running 100 colonies this year and plan on doubling that next year. My main reason for wanting one is to speed up the process and make it a little easier on us. My brother and I are the only ones that do the extracting. I will look into the Cowen system to see what they cost and where is the nearest dealer. 1,000 colonies with a hot knife, that would be a work out! Thanks for the input.

A commercial beek in my neck of the woods has a Cowen chain uncapper. Any plastic frame (the one-piece, all plastic) gets hung up, then comes shooting out. Usually it comes out crooked and falls into the cappings. As a result, he hates plastic frames.

I have a Kelley, electric, vibrating uncapping gizmo. I'm not crazy about it. I prefer the RADA serated bread knife, cold. And I run 150+ hives. To each their own.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

Quote Originally Posted by mlewis48 View Post
    1,000 colonies with a hot knife, that would be a work out! Thanks for the input.
    Yeah, I know one would think so, but it's not that bad. Two guys can extract 5 or 6 barrels in a day w/ a hot knife and a hive tool set up like I described. And listen to the radio w/out turning it up really high. Try it out before jumping into anything new and mechanized. What is there to loose.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries