Default Getting a hive queenright.

I found one of my hives queenless yesterday, no brood no eggs. So I introduced a frame with eggs from another hive. If they start building queen cells on that frame, that will confirm that the hive is queenless. If that is the case I plan to combine this hive with a nuc with a nice laying queen.

I have 2 questions on how to proceed:

1. When should I look for queen cells on the frame that I introduced yesterday?

2. If they start queen cells, do I have to destroy those before combining?

Thanks for your help.

Default Re: Getting a hive queenright.

Why not just let them raise a queen if they start cells?

If they don't start queen cells, that does not necessarily mean they aren't queenless, it could simply mean they think they are queenright -- this can happen if laying workers have taken the place of a proper queen. If they are most recently queenless, then they will likely raise a few queen cells in an effort to become queenright.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

This link may help you.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmath.htm
    Like us on facebook This is the place to bee!
    Ralph

Thank you very much for your input. Today (48 hours later) I opened the hive to see the progress of the queen cells. There were none. I was thinking may be there were no eggs on that frame. But I still could see an egg or two. I was very confused. I was thinking of laying workers. But......surprise...surprise....who did I see on the frame? A queen

This queen emerged on June 20th ( I know the exact date as I checked this hive on 19th and 21st) and I was thinking that by Saturday (19 days after) I should have seen eggs. According to Michael Bush she should have started laying on 12th day after emerging. May be eggs are there but I missed them. I am going to wait a week and do another inspection just to make sure she started laying.

TYPICALLY she would start to lay 12 to 14 days after emerging. But sometimes as early as four or five days or as late as 21 days...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF