Default Sticky Board for Mite Counts Somehow Pulled from Hive (SBB) - Maybe a Skunk Did This?

Ok, I'm using Screened Bottom Boards (SBB) for my two hives. A week ago, I put those white boards under them - with the grid - sprayed with PAM - so I could do a mite count. When I went today to pull them out and do a count, one of the boards was laying on the ground behind the hive.

I'm guessing that there must be an animal bugging them at night - and somehow scratching at the back of the hive, pulled the board out.

Anyone heard of anything like this?

thanks -

Jim

Default Re: Sticky Board for Mite Counts Somehow Pulled from Hive (SBB) - Maybe a Skunk Did T

Did the skunk leave a note to say how many mites he found? Your hypothesis sounds likely, I have an electric fence which keeps out most critters. I have heard that skunks can be very destructive and leave scratchmarks on the hives. Have you seen any scratch marks?

Default Re: Sticky Board for Mite Counts Somehow Pulled from Hive (SBB) - Maybe a Skunk Did T

Racoons would love something like that too, and they can get into just about anything that isn't padlocked shut.

I have had mine blow out during strong winds.

Thanks, everyone. Weird event, I'll just chalk it up to - bigfoot.

The one thing I maybe should have done was lift that bottom super up and check for mice, but I just was of the mindset that it's too early to think mice. In any case, this first year has been fun!