Thread: trapout w/nuc

Question trapout w/nuc

i have a trapout to do and was wandering if i could use a nuc w/ a laying queen instead of brood. i would like to build up the nuc and thought maybe i could put the trapout on during the morning and then setup the nuc in the afternoon. anyone have ideas on this?

Default Re: trapout w/nuc

In my experience if you have a laying queen in a nuc, that will be much more inviting to the foragers you are trapping out of the hive than a bait hive with brood and no queen. I would set the bait hive up concurrent with putting on the screen cone. Within minutes I think you'll see foragers fanning at the entrance of the bait hive. One caution, though, depending on the size of the hive that you are trapping out, you might want to move the nuc into a hive body if you are going to be getting a bunch of bees. You might be surprised how many bees will join that nuc. My favorite form of bait hive is a small swarm that I've recently caught. The bait hive will build up very quickly with a laying queen.

Also, this late in the season, have a few supers ready. After there are no more workers leaving the trapped out hive, put a super on your bait hive and the bait hive will rob the honey from the trapped out hive when you remove the cone.
    When you stop learning you're dead.

Default Re: trapout w/nuc

thanks, i prefer cutouts but sometimes a trapout is the only way