Default Gentile Bees from a cut out!

I did a cut out today in a little girl's tree house. A swarm moved in 3-4 weeks ago and she has not used it since.

The colony was located in between the wall of the tree house so I cut the section of wood out to find 4 18 inch white combs full of brood. I used a variation of the robo vac and killed maybe 5-6 bees, and this was my first time using this vac. Well, I did use it the other day when I took some supers off and left my basement door open.

So everything went well, got a deep of bees, and got a nice banded queen which I found on the second comb in. I placed her in the box I was rubber banding bees into, and then I got a nice little parade of bees going into the slot on the inner cover!

The best part is they are so gentle! Not a single bee headbutted me or stung me. In fact many were crawling on my fingers doing their fanning routine. I did try a new technique however. It was dim inside of the tree house, so I used a desk lamp with a florescent bulb. As the bees clustered around the light, I vacuumed them off. The low heat from the bulb did not burn or kill any either! All in all, it was a great job!
    Last edited by LandellApiaries; 07-06-2011 at 03:43 PM. Reason: stupid spell check

Default Re: Gentile Bees from a cut out!

Quote Originally Posted by LandellApiaries View Post
    The best part is they are so gentile!
    I'm sympathetic to your preferences.

haha, it should have read gentle. The auto spell checker sometimes just does not work.

we usually try to catch the queen and place her in a queen cage. then we hang her in the brood box. (just being cautious w/her). and yes we prefer gentle or gentile also whichever i the nicest!

being that yesterdays cut out was perfect, Murphy says that today's will be hell...and it was. I posted this on another forum, but this sentence sums it up-

"When I got home, I pulled the stingers out of my suit and gloves. 67 were in the gloves and another 91 were in my suit. 53 made it through to get me as I have 53 little bumps in my arms, legs, neck from the veil touching me briefly, and 1 in my eyebrow from one of the bees trying to get into the windows of the car before I closed them up and got out of dodge!"

Now I have a box full of nasties that I don't know what I am going to do with yet. To top the day off, I get a call from a lady with a hive in her barn that wants a cut out done. BUT.. she wants it done free because she is hurting financially, wants the honey for herself because it is "her" honey, and wants me to give half of the bees to her friend who wants to start beekeeping. um no. not happening!

Those aren't Gentile bees. Sounds like they belong to one of the twelve tribes of Misery-el.
    If I'm neither sanguine, phlegmatic, choleric, nor melancholy, does that mean I'm out of humour?