Default Trap out of queenless top bar hive?

I have two hives, both top bar. One of the hives is queenless or has a laying worker. I still am unsure on which. The other hive is doing well.

I would like to get the bees out of the dwindling hive and have em join the thriving hive. So can I do a trap out to get that accomplished?

The hives are about three feet apart. So if I were to do a trap out can I just leave em where they are? Or do I need to get the queenless hive very near the queenright hive?

I've read that with a queenless hive or a laying worker hive you move the hive away and do a shakeout. But I have a top bar so all the comb would break if I tried to move the hive. And I would have to move the hive myself, so it would be very difficult to do while keeping the comb intact. AND, the hive was built with 2"x12" boards. So it's very heavy and awkward to carry.

So would a trapout be an alternative which would work?

Default Re: Trap out of queenless top bar hive?

How many bees are in the queenles hive?
    Have you tried moving a bar of brood from your good hive to have them make their own queen?
    I have a similar situation with a cut out and am waiting to see if they produce their own queen before I try to join 2 hives.

A trap out seems a pretty drawn out and traumatic way to do things to me.

Why don't you just take the topbars from the hive you want to depopulate, brush them pretty much free of bees and put the topbars with comb/brood/whatever into the other hive (assuming they are otherwise healthy - don't double your problems by moving sick material into a healthy hive).

Once you have that first hive empty of everything except bees, push it over on its side, brush the bees out of it onto the ground, and then roll the hive again (away from the grounded bees!) so it's upside down and a little removed from its original position. Cover/wrap it with a tarp or something to further disguise it.

Basically a shakeout without the distance. Still traumatic, but at least it's over quickly and the most bees have a chance of survival.

If you can move the queenright hive a foot or two closer it'd help, but not essential.

All this is assuming that for some reason you actually want to end up with one less hive.

You can keep both alive by adding a frame of brood from the healthy hive. One a week until they make their own queen. Once they have a queen cell you can either intro a new queen, or let them build their own.