Default NUC Top Feeder - Plastic

I recently purchase several Nuc top feeders - plastic and have a really ignorant question. How do you use them They are too big to have an empty nuc sit over the top of them and if you make a special box to put them in, the wood could only be
    1/4" thick ( to match the nuc outside dimensions) and you would still have to cut much of the plastic flanges to make that fit.
    Unless I am overlooking something very simple, I just can't figure out how to use these without lots of extra work All input is appreciated.
    Pamlar

Default Re: NUC Top Feeder - Plastic

LOL! That question is not the least bit ignorant. I bet you purchased them from Dadant in Paris ,Tx. I've only bought one of them, and I can't use it either. You are correct, nothing fits! If you get it figured out, let me know.
    I guess we should call the supplier.
    Last edited by ArkansasBK; 07-05-2011 at 09:09 AM.

Pamlar, are your plastic nuc feeders like this one?
    http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...ductinfo/N423/
    If so, they are supposed to go on TOP of the nuc.

Snap the two plastic parts into the sides firmly, this is a bit tricky. This keeps the bees out of the main syrup pool so they don't drown. The bees access the syrup from below at end end. Place feeder directly on top of the box of frames (without any wood cover). Fill feeder about 2/3 full of syrup and then place outer telescope cover directly on top of the feeder, sealing it off from the outside and robbers. You don't want any upper cover entrances near where the syrup is- this will encourage robbing too much.
    The little bee returns with evening's gloom,
    To join her comrades in the braided hive... -Tennyson

I tried mine like that. Can't get close to the nuc without bumping the feeder around crooked or knocking it off. Wind will also get under the flange and blow it off, if you don't trim it off. The 10-frame feeder works great.

Ok, well I guess maybe they don't work well for you. I have no problems with them. I figured you didn't know how it was supposed to go on the nuc. I have a heavy rock on my hives so they don't blow open, and I don't seem to bump into them much, but go figure! I thought Pamlar just didn't know you could put the telescoping cover right over the feeder and it fits.

I have 3 of them from brushy. They are a little small for mann lake nuc boxes.
    I built a short box to put them in. You're right the wood on the sides is thin, but it works.
    Dan

they will work on a nuce box i have about 6 of them and made a box to fit you have to do some triming on them to make them work rossman has some that were made for an eight frame box but will work on a nuce also i pruchased one from rossman and made my other to fit using is for a pattern wade a few changes but i like them very much becaues they will work for a nuce or eight frame

Omie;
    Yes, those are the ones that I have. Your way does make a lot of sense...I just couldn't see how "simple" they are to use...(you know...can't see the forest because all the trees are in the way).
    Thanks to everyone for all the input.
    pamlar

Oh, well I'm glad it helped Pamlar. They fit nicely on my Brushy Mountain 5 frame nuc boxes, and they seemed to work well for me.