Default Yellow pine for hive body

Why does everyone use ponderosa or white pine for hive bodies instead of yellow pine? Wouldn't the denser yellow pine last longer?

Default Re: Yellow pine for hive body

I have made many with Yellow Pine and several are 5 years old. I prefer Spruce Pine for the lighter weight. Either wood, I prime them and set them in the sun for a day to drive out sap, more moisture and any volatiles that might be in the paint
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

They'll work just fine. Heavier than spruce/ponderosa but no other problems.

Do they seem to last longer?

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyDusty View Post
    Why does everyone use ponderosa or white pine for hive bodies instead of yellow pine? Wouldn't the denser yellow pine last longer?
    Because yellow pine is expensive in all areas that it isn't grown in... Try buying yellow pine in the northeast or midwest where most bee equipment is made and it costs as much as hardwoods. Also white pine is light and cheaper to ship, but I agree that yellow would make better woodenware
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Yellow pine is heavier and tends to warp badly - due to the heavier sap/resin content. Cost-wise, it is cheaper.

White pine is acceptable but "punkier" - less resins, but that translates to easier on saws.

In testing over the years and going way back before my time, neither of the above will outlast a ponderosa pine box or other woodenware. Granted, there will be those that disagree with this, but in general, it's always been the case.

Rick
    Western Bee

Ponderosa for boxes; Sugar Pine for frames. Redwood for flats; those were the days.