Default How can I get my bees to draw out the foundation

When taking honey from my deeps I dont always have drawn cone to put back.When I put frames with new foundation in they ignor it, or chew it. Is there a way I can use a Nuc for only drawing out cone?
    Last edited by D.A.S.; 07-04-2011 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Add info

Default Re: How can I get my bees to draw out the foundation

Feed thin syrup continuously.

I am selling my honey. I don't want to take the chance off selling sugar honey. Can I set up a Nuc, and feed them surp to draw wax? How many bees? Should they be queenless?

They won't draw wax if there is not a strong enough nectar flow.
    When they do draw wax, they use it, either storing nectar or pollen in it or raising brood in it. So, if you make up nuc and feed sugar water to draw comb, they'll put brood in it or they'll store the sugar syrup in it. Oh, and they chew the foundation you put in to use the wax elsewhere in the hive, it's because of lack of nectar flow.

When I want new comb I will feed 1:1 syrup constantly.They draw out comb and then I pull that frame and sit it in front of the hive.They will then gather the syrup out of it and I will put that frame in an empty box to save for later use.

Quote Originally Posted by D.A.S. View Post
    I am selling my honey. I don't want to take the chance off selling sugar honey.
    Then don't sell any of the Honey they produce while drawing comb, I would venture to guess you are probably done with main nectar flow, so pull your honey then start drawing comb if they store a bunch of phoney honey then extract it for fall feed...
    Honeydew

Thanks snapper that's what I wanted to find out. My bees are still bringing in nectar and pollin, still making honey, but just not drawing out new cone. Didn't want to pull there honey until Sept. I will isolate a good hive, and feed them from inside the hive keeping robbers out, and the take the drawn cone, and stores to feed them in the fall. Thanks everyone, Don

If you feed syrup in the drawn out comb the sugar in the syrup might granulate if stored very long.Thats why I let the bees clean out the comb in front of the hive.I just store the empty comb and then I can place in a hive in the fall if needed for them to store in.In the fall feeding a heavy syrup it doesnt take long for them to fill up frames of comb.Bees are also not good at drawing much comb in the fall like they are in the first half of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by snapper1d View Post
    When I want new comb I will feed 1:1 syrup constantly.They draw out comb and then I pull that frame and sit it in front of the hive.They will then gather the syrup out of it and I will put that frame in an empty box to save for later use.
    The exact way I do it. Now if there is a flow they build comb like no-ones business.