Default Is it to late to start a hive this year.

I would like to start a hive or two this year, but am I to late in the season to get started? If I do get a hive will I have to supplement feed them so they can get ready for winter? south Alabama not to bad of winters.
    The places that I've found on the web that sales nuc/packaged bees have already sold out. I've not been able to find much local help, all thou I'm going to a bee meeting next Monday and hope to get some help.
    Thanks for any help.
    Bryan

Default Re: Is it to late to start a hive this year.

You'll need to talk to some local people. We live in USDA zone 9, & wouldn't have a problem starting a hive this time of year.
    Would guess you'd be OK also.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by bryanj58 View Post
    <snip>...south Alabama...<snip>...places that I've found on the web that sales nuc/packaged bees have already sold out.<snip>
    Bryan
    Bryan - Remember that you aren't "allowed" to buy nucs from outside of Alabama, anyway.

Anyway, to answer your question, I would not think it too late, if there is any kind of flow at all. Just don't be expecting to harvest honey this year. You might want to PM Ted Kretschmann and ask his opinion. He would be the man that would know for sure.

-James (with bees in TN and in central AL)
    Last edited by dixiebooks; 07-04-2011 at 02:10 PM. Reason: additional verbage

You would probly get the best deal just buying a complete hive & colony, especially if you wait until Autumn. Bees are sold as colonies then and they are easier to assess.

I started last summer late july/early august and even early september by buying local nucs; all three colonies survived...the advice I was given starting late was feed feed feed....so I fed fed fed and I had no problems; even with one hive only having five frames of bees going into winter....

Thanks for the help.
    I did not know I was not allowed to buy nucs from outside of Alabama, Why is that?
    Thanks