Default Newbie: Filling out frames in mediums, etc.

One of my hives is about a 7 week old nuc - installed 5 frames, added five more (foundation). What I noticed is that the bees seemed to build out to the one end, but not towards the other (I put the five original frames in about the middle - with 2 new on one side, 3 new on the other). When they were about 60% along, I added another medium because I was not going to be able to visit them for a week - seems they are doing the same thing on the second box. frames 4-10 being worked on, 1-3 not. Is that strange? I'd expected to see more "even" activity from the center outward.

Also: Given this, I was going to manipulate some frames to that 1 position - I assume I can do this as long as I'm not pulling a frame of brood to the end, right?

Thanks -

jim

Default Re: Newbie: Filling out frames in mediums, etc.

Jim, this happened to me with my first hive. They also only bearded on one side during the evening. It turns out that my hive table wasn't quite level. Once it was, they straightened out.

Default Re: Newbie: Filling out frames in mediums, etc.

Many thanks - I'll check it out. If it's level, I"ll just do as little manipulation as I can to help coax them over.