Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Betterbee

57K views 73 replies 37 participants last post by  olddrone 
#1 ·
May my experience serve as a warning to others. I'll make this as short as possible. A few weeks ago I spent $950 on frames at Betterbee and also got their pro uncapping fork. Got around to putting it away this week and noticed one of the prongs was shorter than the others. Called them up, explained what was wrong and that I'd like another one and sent it back (my expense) for an exchange. Got a call today telling me it was not defective, they would not ship another one without me paying for the shipping and that they would only refund my credit card less 10% restocking. They are so misguided. I explained if they did this they would lose a customer forever. They don't care, they don't care I just spent $950 a few weeks ago, or that last year bought 40 packages from them, they don't care that for $2.30 they have lost a customer forever.

#33 ·
I too have experienced some frustration in my business dealing with Betterbee. No need to rehash my experiences because I have happily found a solution to this particular frustration. However, I deal with several different bee supply companies. I guess under normal conditions of how each company is run, different companies would produce different levels of service and experiences. My sincere questions for fellow keepers are;
Has anyone received similar “frustrations” from any of the other bee supply companies?
To answer my own question here- I would be hard pressed to find any kind of complaint about any of the other companies I deal with
Not to defend anyone- are we just piling up on Betterbee? I’m just asking on this one because I as I said earlier, I have had similar problems with them.
Does anyone have a theory on why there seem to be this level of disconcern by this particular company?

#34 ·
I had a bad experience with them too. I ordered labels 6 months ago anticipating needing them this summer. When I opened the box they were the wrong size, and I think it was Betterbee's error. Over the phone they were unsympathetic and inflexible about their 30 day return policy. Not a big deal but VERY poor customer service and a calalier attitude. I told them they had lost a long-time customer and they seemed to care less. I would not recommend doing business with them to anyone. There are plenty of companies out there that offer good service.

#35 ·
Re: Beware of Betterbee

Wish I would have read this thread before I place a $800.00 order with Betterbee. I just received an email saying my hive boxes and frames were on backorder. I called to have the rest of my shipment sent out. When I asked if they had a clue when i could expect to see my backordered items, the sales rep said "I have no idea". When I asked if they would at least be in by the end of the year, he didn't know. The kicker is......They make the product in HOUSE!!! and you can't give me a rough idea!!!??? I cancelled my order, called Mann Lake LTD.....I received the best customer service around, super friendly with free shipping to boot!

#36 ·

That is exactly what I am talking about. I finally found a place to order that metric caps nuts for my extractor (the ones they told me I could get in a harware store) but not until I took the entire top of the extractor to a friend in a machine shop to determine the size. BetterBee was absolutely no help. I had stopped ordering from them several years ago for this reason, but had forgotten how indifferent they were to their customers needs. I think this is reflective of the ownership because my earlier experiences were with different employees. I will be buying a motorized extractor next year and you can be sure it will not be from BetterBee.

I found both Mann Lake and Dadant to be very professional and they ship right away.

#39 ·

Hmmmm... Everytime I've talked to them about woodenware they have refered to "their supplier" and I have a box out in the shop that frames came in (That I had to go look at to be sure), and it says "Made in Canada" on the side of it. Hmmmm.. Must be just the cardboard box that is "Made in Canada".

#40 ·

Honey is correct; Their equipment is not made in house. They may make it locally at another location or it may be subbed out... That I have been unable to determine.

Somebody posted a few months ago that they where completely out of woodenware, surely they should have resolved the issue by now.

The only issue I have had with them is that they completely lack any sort of customer service skills... I don't call them anymore because you might as well be talking to a door if you have any questions. They also employ a bunch of teen age kids who have no idea about anything to do with bees; so walking into the store can be frustrating as well.

With large clubs; I am surprised no one has started forming co-ops for equipment... With the state of the building trades it would be pretty easy to find a wood shop willing to produce all the woodenware a club would want, all the non-wood items could be purchased from china just like the supply houses do... and then order the foundation from Kelley in large quantities, or cough up the 60 or so K for a foundation molder.

As far as Companies go... Can't beat Mann lake LTD. Good prices, good service, free shipping.

#57 ·

As far as Companies go... Can't beat Mann lake LTD. Good prices, good service, free shipping.
Agreed, I only buy from Mann Lake and Dadant, never been disappointed so far.

On the top of fast shipping and great customer service you get free shipping from Mann Lake on orders of $100 or more.

I challenge anybody to find better deal from any other Bee Supplies Co on any bee supplies if you spend $100.

From my perspective unless you buy a single hive tool, or bee brush it is hard NOT to spend 100 bucks. Any combination of a few boxes and some frames or few boxes and some foundation will put you about 100 bucks or more.

Ask your wife how much she spends if she shops weekly for groceries, I bet it is more than 100 bucks.

In those days for $100 you can barely cover the bottom of shopping cart with groceries!

#42 ·

I have to say that their customer service is a joke! More of their carefree attitude and comlete incompetence really. I called them with some questions on the nuc feeders listed on their website. I asked to speak to someone with knowledge of this particular product and was told that nobody knew anything about them since they no longer carried the feeders. I then informed Stephan that they were still listed on their website and they could be added to your cart to purchase them, with nothing showing that this was no longer carried. I told him that along with the suggestion that if they no longer handled this product that hopefully he could pass it on and that they could be removed from the site. He then informed me that "well, we have some left in inventory but they have been discontinued by manufacturer" Which is BS because I know several other places that handle the same exact feeder and asked the other suppliers about it afterwards. I then asked him how many they had left in stock and I was told that he could not release any information like that to me. I tried to explain that the only reason I was asking was that I wanted to purchase a large quantity of them. He then said the only info he could "release" was that they were Nuc feeders. The conversation continued on for a bit as I tried to find out exactly which feeder it was they had left and if they had the amount that I wanted in stock or not. I never found out either and his answers only became more bizarre. I finally just busted out laughing, thanked him for his time and got off of the phone as I realized that I was going nowhere with someone that incompetent and was not about to send my money to them. It was truly the strangest experience that I have ever had with a customer service rep. in my life. I guess the feeders they carry up there somehow play a role in our national security.

#43 ·

I appreciate the warning. I've just been dealing with Dadant, and indirectly with Mann Lake. It also makes me aware of what customer service should be in my own online store. I pass I think, since I cut a refund and did a reship based on photos of damage last week.

(has nothing to do with bees, a small encumbrance I've been carrying for the last 12 years.)

Actually if the situation with Betterbee's employees is deteriorating, possibly they have lost their best people, and that is not a good sign of a company to place a large advance order with. And out of stock, can be out of stock, OR didn't pay the vendor's invoice. In this business climate, you just never know.

Gypsi

#44 ·

Hi all! Just wanted to take a moment to share my experience with Betterbee. I've been ordering bottles, labels and other perephrial items from better bee for several years with the last order placed in July 2010. When I received my order last July, a package of 5 dippers had been opened and there was only 4 dippers in it. I called Betterbee and notified them within a couple days and I suggested they just credit my account as I believed I'd be ordering from them again and they could apply it to the next order. Well, I called about 6 weeks ago to order more items and I asked about the credit that was supposed to be applied. Steffan couldn't find any record of the credit and acted like he didn't care about it. I even had to send them a copy of my invoice from last July because they couldn't find any record of my order. Elizabeth told me that if a credit was applied to someones account, it was zero'd out at the end of the year by sending a check. I never got a check. I left messages for Liz(customer service manager) two different times and spoke with her twice. She was going to "look into and and call me back". After several calls to Steffan, Elizabeth, and Liz with promises to look into it and call me back, none of them felt my issue was important enough to give me a return call. With a little help from Steffan, I found the owners name is Margaret Stevens who can be found thanks to the internet. I called Ms Stevens and spoke with her breifly about my issue. When I told her that I was asking about a credit from a prior order and how much it was, she laughed and said she'd e-mail Lea to get it taken care of. That was on 9/7 and I still have not been contacted by Betterbee. I'll probably call them again tomorrow and try to talk to Lea but I have doubt's I'll be able to get the customer service gate keepers to let me through. Then I'll call Margaret again and probably just get another blow off from her.
The dipper is listed for about 90 cents. I know, you're saying why waste time over 90 cents, but it's not the amount, it's the principal. I'm just glad it wasn't a big ticket item. If they'll steal 90 cents from me, I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate to take more.
I may never get my credit, but I'll sure try to make it the most expensive 90 cents they never spent. They've lost my business for ever.

Take Care!

#45 ·
Hi Tim,
I do not understand these folks at all. My business with them dwindled and I was only ordering one product from their line, I thought I couldn’t get anywhere else. I discovered a competitor offered it and I moved on. In full disclosure I must say I am incredibly easy going and not a nit picker, whiner or whatever, life’s too short for that. The other companies I deal with are really great. I have been made to feel like I am their only customer with any questions or inquiries that I make.

Ernie

#46 ·
Recently I've heard that several vendors will no longer be dealing with Betterbee. Wilbanks for packaged bees, F.W. Jones for woodenware, and Maxant for honey processing equipment. Now things heard through the grapevine aren't necessarily true, but it makes me wonder...I can understand why customers would drop a supply company for terrible service, but why would a large vendor drop the supply company?

The check is in the mail....

#47 ·
Recently I've heard that several vendors will no longer be dealing with Betterbee. Wilbanks for packaged bees.
I am pretty sure Better bee is dropping Wilbanks, They were 4 weeks late delivering packages this year. I think Loyd was using them to and is planning to go with a new supplier this season for the same reason.

If Betterbee goes up for sale, who wants to buy it with me? :)

#50 ·

Sorry to hear about your problem with BB. I just experience the most agrivating call with BB. I called about a backorder on honey containers since I'm missing out on honey sales at several harvest festivals. The sales manager can't tell me if my order will ship this week, this month or next year. I asked her to call her supplier and find out then call me back. She refused. I asked about when BB placed their order. She can't give any information out and refused to send my call upward. I asked who her supervisor was, who the owner was --nothing. Her answer was would you like me to cancel the order? I said no, I just want to find out about my bottles. I immediately consulted BeeSource to see how the supplier was rated. What's up with this supplier? All I want is an idea of when I can expect my shipment. What do you think?

#52 ·

When world-class suppliers such as Root, Maxant, Swienty, and Ross Rounds will no longer do business with a distributor of bee equipment it is past time to move on. Arrogance is never a good policy, and Justin seems to have imbedded it into the entire Betterbee organization.

Don't understand why anyone still does business with them...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.