Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Betterbee

57K views 73 replies 37 participants last post by  olddrone 
#1 ·
May my experience serve as a warning to others. I'll make this as short as possible. A few weeks ago I spent $950 on frames at Betterbee and also got their pro uncapping fork. Got around to putting it away this week and noticed one of the prongs was shorter than the others. Called them up, explained what was wrong and that I'd like another one and sent it back (my expense) for an exchange. Got a call today telling me it was not defective, they would not ship another one without me paying for the shipping and that they would only refund my credit card less 10% restocking. They are so misguided. I explained if they did this they would lose a customer forever. They don't care, they don't care I just spent $950 a few weeks ago, or that last year bought 40 packages from them, they don't care that for $2.30 they have lost a customer forever.

#4 ·
Re: Beware of Betterbee

One tine on a cappings fork was shorter than another? Really? By alot? Me thinks thou hath reacted overly much. As far as BB, yeah, we know. Been enuf Threads about them. Seems like they all aught to be combined into one. I hope this doesn't go on as long as other BB Complaints Threads.

#6 ·

Try calling again and ask for someone in mgmt. This is a busy time of year for BB if you explain your problem to someone who understands the dilemma you have along with how much of a vested customer you are they may take care of your problem for you. I may be talking to a wall here but it may be worth a try.

#7 ·

Jeremy, thanks for advice. You're right, I probably should call and speak to Justin directly but as I understand he doesn't take calls from customers now and there was more to the story but I didn't want to drag on.

This post was just to serve as a warning. Clearly they are able to weather beesource "posts of fury" about there company without making changes. I'm on a board of a bee club of 100+ members and I constantly hear our members grouse about Betterbee, this was for the new beekeepers to let them know there are better choices for their beekeeping supplies.

#9 ·

Call up Betterbee and ask them how they determined that the uncapping fork was not defective? Perhaps the manufacturing process allows for a prong or two to be shorter/longer than the others. If all their uncapping forks fall within this specification, they are not considered defective. How are the prongs attached? Are they press fit or welded into place? If they are press fit, maybe the shorter prong can be pulled out some.

#11 ·

The fork has already gone back to BB. So, no fix or repair is necassary. One short tine does not effect the use of the fork. I have use forks w/ missing tines and the fork is perfectly useable. But that isn't what this is about. The lack of service is what is being written about here.

#12 ·

But that isn't what this is about. The lack of service is what is being written about here.
Got a call today telling me it was not defective
gee I don't know they told him it wasn't defective, they advertised a fork with all the tines being the same length, when I buy something I expect what is advertised, he didn't get what was advertised, pretty clear case to me. the lack of a fork is what is being talked about here.

#13 ·

Okay. One short tine does not a defective fork make. It'll still work perfectly well. even two adjacent wouldn't hurt how it works. One still goes across the comb w/ more than one stroke. I have used forks w/ missing tines and they worked just fine.

Shoot, get yer money back and use your hive tool. Works better anyway, in my opinion. But good luck getting your money back.

#14 · (Edited)

The pro uncapping fork is on page 61 of the 2011 Better Bee Catalog. It is illustration C and is item number CAS4 and costs $24.95.

Notice the short prongs? There are two on this particular uncapping fork that they have used to illustrate the product. The shorter prongs are probably on a good number of this product and has been considered as acceptable.

For those that think I am not picky about beekeeping equipment, here is a photo of a cold uncapping knife I am sending back to Walter Kelley. I was told that it will not cause any problems with uncapping, but I would be welcome to send it back for an exchange.

This is one of three nicks on the blade.

#15 ·

Are you a Machinist or something? Or a tool and die man? I had to look really hard and a cpl of times before I saw the "shorter" tines. And if those nicks bother you, wouldn't a rat tail file serve your purposes better than the time spent sending it back and waiting for its' return?

Looking again, I only see one short tine. Which ones look short to you?

I'm not surprised to hear that Kelley Co. was willing to exchange w/ you. Being people/customer oriented was Mr. Kelleys' way ever since he opened shop.

#16 · (Edited)

It also looks like a couple of the prongs in the center a longer than the rest.

I could hone out the nicks in the blade. However, they offered an exchange and I will be doing that. I will not need the knife for a few more months. Yup, I ordered well in advance.

We can all get picky. Sometimes it is warranted, sometimes it is not.

I repair sewing machines for a living. Just one spec for a sewing machine is 2.3mm to 2.5mm. One machine might be set to 2.3mm the next to 2.45mm, etc., and they all work. I also reload my own ammunition. Things need to be darn near perfect to work right.

Back in February of this year I received a beehive has a birthday gift. It contained 2 deeps with frames and foundation, as well as a medium honey super with frames and foundation. There was also a screened bottom board with beetle trap, inner cover, and insulated outer cover. When I opened up the shipping boxes, the outer cover was broken. The corner has been smashed in shipping causing it to break apart in a couple of pieces and popping the joint. My dad was more upset than I was. I looked at him and said "Nothing a new nail, some wood glue, some white paint, and a couple of clamps wouldn't fix". We had it glued up and back together in about 10-15 minutes. Its been repainted, and unless you look for it, you cannot even tell. However, after the hail storm we had last month, the roof looks a little different.

#17 ·

Things need to be darn near perfect to work right.
Not trying to be insulting, I don't know what you know, but do you know how to use an uncapping fork? Perfection or near perfection is no where near needed. Do you not agree?

Somehow I knew you were used to dealing w/ close tolerances. What kinds of sewing machines do you work w/? Industrial or home use. My wife has a 1923 Singer Treadle Machine.

#18 · (Edited)

The prong did look like the fork above and the point was after I paid the shipping for them to see the problem, they said it wasn't a problem even suggesting it was adjustable. They refused to send me another one and refused a full refund, taking a 10% restocking fee. But by far the most disturbing aspect was the sarcastic, condescending and dismissive tone of the customer service rep. The original purpose of the post was to alert potential customers of how little they value you as a customer and what you can expect when dealing with Betterbee.

#20 ·

I would think they would at least send another one to replace it. The only reason I could see not replacing it if it was modified by the customer. However, that is not the case. If I order from BetterBee in the future, I will see what their exchange policy is before ordering.

This does not always work, but next time someone has a company rep that seems a bit rude on the phone, try to cheer them up a bit. Ask how their day is going, tell them a joke (a clean one), or try to lighten them up a bit. You shouldn't have to do this, but everyone has a bad day. I deal with customers daily on the phone. Some can just about ruin your day. However, on that next call, you have to do your best to be cheerful and not come off as rude. It is hard, even if you think you are happy and cheerful, that prior customer experience can sometimes still be felt in your tone by the next customer that calls or walks in. I have had bad experiences first thing in the morning that make me think twice about why I even do what I do. However, I have to smile, be cheerful, and attend to the next customer (sometimes it is the same one calling back to say "and another thing...").

I am sorry things did not go well with your Betterbee order and customer relations experience.

Something you can do is write a letter to the management of Betterbee. May not get you anywhere, but you never know.

BTW: Betterbee is not a member of the BBB but has a rating of F. This is due to 6 complaints in 3 years. That really is not very many complaints about a company.

http://www.bbb.org/upstate-new-york...bee-inc-in-greenwich-ny-185229164/complaints/

I am not saying that the uncapping fork has to be perfect. Just happened to notice that the photo in the Betterbee catalog had prongs of different lengths. From the looks of the photo online and in the catalog, it looked as though the prongs could be moved in and out with a bit of pressure to adjust them. I have not yet used an uncapping fork, but have watch videos on the usage. I don't think a short/long prong will make much of a difference at all.

#21 ·

I would think they would at least send another one to replace it.
Were I the person receiving the call at BB, and I were authorized to, I would have sent the buyer a brand new inspected fork right away at no additional cost. What's the cost of a fork compared to a valued customer. Especially compared to a dissatisfied customer. It's just good business.

#23 ·

You sound like you are doing open heart surgery. Short tines on your fork, nicks on the uncapping knife. For Pete' sake, you are uncapping honey combs, not doing a circumcision. When you scrap cappings you are doing just that, scrapping and ripping into soft wax and honey. Even 1/8" difference in tine length would not make any difference. When uncapping, you are often hit exposed frame nails and wires. That knife will be a lot more nicked after a few hundred frames. Customers like you give being a retailer a bad taste.

#25 ·

I really had to look hard to see the unequal length of one tine and I am not sure that it is a problem at all. I think that it is good policy for Betterbee to charge a restocking fee especially for this return. Sorry, but the pictures you shared don't warrent a problem. Maybe the customer service could have been handled better.

#29 ·
I have never been that happy with Betterbee's service. Most recently I tried to order two stainless steel acorn nuts with metric threads for my extractor. They told me they don't carry the part. I asked for information on the manufacturer and they told me to go to a hardward store.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.