Default My Bees Swarmed!

Is there any "rule" as to what to do after the bees swarm?

I'm assuming honey is not a possibility since they hadn't even filled one frame with honey prior to swarming so I doubt they can do so now.

Will the bees be testier than usual because they have to wait til the queen takes her mating flight and starts laying eggs?

Should I being doing anything or just waiting (we didn't really cover any of this in class since we were taught to avoid the swarm).

We did get to see the swarm happen. Here it is: http://soappixie.blogspot.com/2011/0...s-swarmed.html
    ~Michelle

Default Re: My Bees Swarmed!

You might still get honey. Since it will be a while before the new queen is mated and laying, the bees will be packing away nectar. We still have a good amount of flow to go (if you're season is anything like ours), so don't give up on honey yet!

My bees came back, or it at least it looks like they did. The swarm is gone from its location after only being there an hour and now we have a massive cloud of bees all over the backyard. I ran out there and stuck an empty hive body with drops of lemongrass eo in it and the bees gravitated to that. I'd estimate we have about 50 bees inspecting the hive body but I'm still not sure if this was the original swarm. Could it be a 2nd swarm? I can't find the original.
    ~Michelle

Could it be a 2nd swarm? I can't find the original

Unfortunately there could be several secondary casts

You're question on the original hive, Just stay out of it a couple weeks to give the virgin time to get mated, & start laying.
    Dan