Thread: Am I Queenless?

Default Am I Queenless?

I'm totally new to beekeeping. I got a nuc w/a first year queen in may, and things don't seem ok. Opened hive today, found bottom brood chamber w/ capped brood, which could be old. Not totally sure how to tell. No sign of eggs or larvae. Next box up is a shallow that is drawn out and filled with honey, some capped. Next box up has been there for three weeks, and the bees have no interest in drawing out comb. I've tried everything.

How does a hive survive for any length of time w/out a queen? Is it too late to re-queen? Should I just let nature take it's course and try again next year?

I will appreciate any advice.

Default Re: Am I Queenless?

I asked, and was concerned, with the exact same thing a week or so ago.

Here are the replies that I got from the exact same question.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...668#post675668

It sounds like to me your hive is performing about right with what I would expect in my area. This is a first year hive installed in May and now two months later they have drawn the brood box and a shallow and have filled the shallow with honey for their winter stores. I'm sure you want honey off them this year but this sounds pretty good to me. When they fill the shallow they will move up to the next super as long as there is a flow.

Regarding whether you have a queen, I would go back in in two weeks and check again. I don't really worry unless I go in the hive and see no capped brood because that starts the countdown to extinction.

Did you try to put a frame of honey or drawn comb from box#2 in the center of box#3?
    This usually will pull them up and they will draw out your foundation.
    If not you could reverse 2 and 3 but also put a frame of honey in 2.
    I wonder if your queen is honey bound (honey ceiling)? Then she wouldn't lay eggs if there is no place for her to lay them!
    Exchanging 2 and 3 would solve the problem!
    Best of Luck! Mtn. Bee

I tried taking 2 drawn-out frames from 2 and putting in 3. No luck.

Good advice. Maybe I'll switch 2 and 3.

It does seem like she's out of space to lay eggs. I just figured that would motivate the bees to draw comb.

I'll let you know what happens.

Jimhuck,

You asked the question whether you were queenless, so I am guessing that you didn't see the queen. She may not be there anylonger for a variety of reasons. I would do a second inspection to see if she is there or might have been replaced with a virgin queen. I think it is important to see the queen.

I am thinking that honey bound queens would have swarmed. How large is your hive as you really don't want laying workers when it can be avoided by purchasing a queen for delivery overnight.

Fresh capped brood is a light tan -- However as the brood matrues, it gets brown.

Check for eggs.
    You say you're second brood box is a shallow? I would think you'd run double deeps in Grass Valley, or at least a deep & a med. or 3 mediums.
    The queen won't go past that full box of honey to lay in the 3rd box. I agree that if they didn't swarm, she might not have room for laying eggs.
    Dan