Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Salt water swimming pools

I still do not think they are your bees, a quick trip to see for yourself could put an end to this, and save your yard.

You say you don't have time to find out. Moving your entire yard doesn't take any time?

You don't know these people! At this point, I'd almost rather kick a rattlesnake as go on their property.

The landowner would have kicked me off by now if he was going to. Its in my ball park. Since they brought the law ( county ag) into it , I want to hear his opinion first.He used to have a bee outfit, I heard.

I really appreciate everyones input on this. I guess its a problem we all have from time to time.

Good luck with the yard Mike. Sounds like a situation where regardless of where the bees are coming from it would be a good idea to move the yard.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Mike,

Please let us know how it gets resolved.

Thanks

If you move it now, you have achance to come back later. If you fight you will lose someone else will come in later. Be Mr. Good now it will come back to you.

Never heard back from the bee inspector. I moved half of them out, and brought in more water barrels. Maybe that did the trick.

Tom,I just cant stand their demanding that I move them. I have other yards much closer to houses and never have problems. I think they are just unreasonable people who are used to getting their way.

Just to confirm, I have a salt water pool and my bees are all over it. My neighbor, 100 yard away, has a regular pool and reports no bee problem. Providing another water source helps, but they still go to the pool. It has a solar cover, so provides an excellent platform for them.

Quote Originally Posted by krad1964 View Post
    I have a salt water pool and my bees are all over it.
    They surely are drawn to salt. When working my bees in this heat....and sweating.....they will land on my arms and drink. If I get still for a moment there will easily be a dozen.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

But folks its not salt..its converted to chlorine. Just saying.
    mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

>>But folks its not salt..its converted to chlorine. Just saying.<<

Thats what the bee inspector told me, too. But there was some kind of difference that made the salt water pools much more attractive to bees ,in his experience.

Looking back, I moved a yard several years back that developed a bee problem around a pool after they switched to 'salt water'. So what is attracting the bees?

Ordinary chlorinated pools are pretty attractive to bees too. If those that are 'salt' chlorinated (I don't really know anything about this compound) are more attractive and if the salt types are becoming increasingly common.....it isn't going to be good.
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

We have a saltwater pool 25' away from some of our hives and we have no problems with bees.

I am having alot of trouble with salt water pools, all the advice possible is welcome
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by LSBees View Post
    we have no problems with bees.
    I'm guessing that it is your pool. I'm thinkin' that the tolerable level of bees around a swimming pool is much higer for a beekeeper than for a civilian (nonbeekeeper).

I have what I call 15 pet hives at my home. I live on a small pond and I have a pool as well. The vast majority of my bees are at the pond drinking and not the pool. I do have bees coming to the pool but as a beekeeper it is no big deal. I have taken the foam toys they make for kids called noodles and cut them up for honeybee life rafts to help reduce drowning. It seems if I install a new package of bees or bring in a colony I have a lot more action at the pool as the bees find this water source first. As the summer progresses the action at the pool slows. My system is chlorine based. Most of my hives are about 60 feet from the pool and a little further to the lake. I have been fortunate with the neighbors. If they call it's to tell me how much better there trees and gardens are doing. One of them told me they had not seen many bees in the area prior to us moving there and they were glad of it. A little free honey from those hives helps also.

Sorry to be late to this thread. We converted our pool to a salt chlorinator last spring. Within a week the skimmers were full of drowned bees. I have two 3 gallon poultry waterers set up near the hives but the bees prefer the salt in the pool 100 yards further away. I added about one tablespoon per gallon of kosher salt to each of the poultry waterers (Same 3000PPM ratio as the pool) and the bees returned to their regular watering holes. We rarely find bees in the skimmers any more. Before we went to the salt chlorinator the bees preferred the lake another 200 yards past the pool from the hives. Evidently bees prefer flavored water to fresh city water.

Thanks for the feed back.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I have a salt water pool and hives. I had to move my hives. Salt water pools have hundreds of pounds of salt dissolved in the water. The Cl is
    cleaved of by a salt generator and chlorine is produced. My hives were 200 yards from my pool. The bees would fly over a chicken feeder with
    sugar laced water and drown in the pool. Two years of summer droughts haven't helped.

I tried to get an epi pen from my doctor and he would'nt give me one. I wanted it just incase someone got stung on the street or near my hives. We have hive tours and classes here, he said there was more risk of someone over stimulating there heart than dieing from the sting... Go figure
    I'm not tense, Just terribly, terribly alert!

Give the bees another source of water and bait it with scent, lemongrass oil works wonders, HBH contains it. Keep you neighbours happy even if it is not your bees.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...bor-s-fountain

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast