Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Salt water swimming pools

I’m not so sure that it’s only city folks moving to the country. I see more and more pools in farmer’s yards. Around here most farm folks raise cattle or chickens. They’re accustomed to the smell of open chicken houses on harvest day or litter spread on pastures. But, if their wives, children or guests get stung while playing in the pool, even country folks will get irritated. And if it gets to be a regular event they’ll put a stop to it. They’ll give the suspected beek an opportunity to resolve the problem but failing that, most have enough knowledge to get plenty ugly....and they won't need to do an internet search to figure it out.
    Once again, good luck.
    Last edited by beemandan; 07-02-2011 at 10:51 AM.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

It would all be better if we could figure out how to fix Stupid. But most that complain do so untill they get there way or the law tells them they have no grounds. And even then half the time It is as Dan said the landlord still ask you to leave because of the hassle. Unless you have deepish pockets and pay for the yard then the landlord is more willing to keep you around. I find a couple Ben Franklins and some honey goes a long way in keeping a yard like that. Some time you have to stand up for yourself and deal witht the Ugly that does come along.

if it is indeed a swimming pool, then I would think is not so much salt water as it is chlorinated water, which is very attractive to bees. get the owner of the pool to but a mark on the bees thorax with white out (easy to do) if they are your bees you'll see it soon.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

Just to carry this whole idea a bit further. Any more, it seems that every third person I talk to (I may be exaggerating…but not by much) insists they are allergic to bee stings. And most have an epipen to prove it. Country and city folks alike. They get a bee sting, it swells and hurts, they go to the family doc, and he prescribes an epipen. And from that day forward they are convinced that the next bee sting will kill them. No amount of reasoning by a beekeeper will change their minds. They will believe the doc….every time.
    So, one can see where a pool owner or even just a neighbor might be concerned. Surely one of his family or friends has this ‘condition’.
    We are in losing a battle against wrongful perception.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    We are in losing a battle against wrongful perception.
    You are so right! There really does seem to be a fast growing population of people who are convinced they are allergic to bee stings. When asked about their symptoms it almost always is pain and swelling, I suppose Doctors readily handout those epipens just to avoid litigation. Yup... it does look like beekeepers are on the losing end of a number of battles.

Dan, that is so true. I run into that everywhere.

But the funny thing is,lots of them don't carry an epi pen. I had a friend who was truly allergic.The kind where you better get to the hospital in 45 minutes type allergic. He never went anywhere without that kit.

I drove by the ranch owner this morning with 2 loads of bees on one of his other ranches. He didn't wave . That is a bad sign. Looks like PR time!

Thats not good. Is his honey account in the red?
    Mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Is it at all feasible to close your hives for a morning to see if the bees are still at the pool? I'm guessing you have too many hives and its too hot there to make it worth it.

Have you peronally visited the pool and witnessed the bees coming and going in the direction of your hives? Might be worth a visit.....

Wait too long and you will definately be moving your bees.

Too busy taking care of the other yards to go look at their pool. This is just a yard of splits but they need the buildup .

They said the bees were attacking them in their house, so no point in talking any further

yup just had to move a yard that the bees were attacking the house who knew that bees stung houses? it is much easier in these cases to move. i hate to do it but i guess it is part of the job.

Of course it is the one yard that i have that can be seen from the road if they never would have seen it probably never would have had to move them.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by loggermike View Post
    .They said the bees were attacking them in their house, so no point in talking any further
    The moronic things people say never stops blowing my mind. If I were in your shoes I would fight them in court if I had to as long as you are leagaly about to use the ground. And after 50 years I would say you are. And 50 years no problem but now all the sudden these people have one. I would make them prove these are your bees

How much would it cost for you to notify the landowner of your plans, move the bees to over 3 miles(to be safe) from the pool, and then check on the pool in a couple of days. Document what you have done. If there is still a problem at the pool, Document again, and move them back.

Crazy Roland

I will let the county bee inspector give me his report on the complaint , then will go from there. I offered to thin the yard out next week, which i do every year as the splits gain strength.

Hopefully that will resolve the issue.

I am somewhat puzzled as to why someone who is so terrified of bees would plant so much bee attracting shrubbery around a pool!

This area has so many wasps, hornets and bumble bees that even if I move all my hives there will still be visitors to their pool.

Its California! Not Texas! Like they are going to come shoot you off the land? Stay by all means and just let the stuff fly by. Unless you get kicked off. Then find a better place.
    mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Tell them you put a tracking collar on a 100 bees or so and they get their water from the river. LOL

Lol. I still have a box of old tracking collars from my bear hunting days, but they are a little big for these puny bees.

I'm getting too old to let anyone push me around!

I remember when I was on a logging job years ago. Homer Park had a yard on the timber company land and they told him he needed to move it . He told them "No . You can move your logging around it". The forester was laughing when he told us about it.

I cant imagine a pool bein more attractive from over a mile away than a river just a few hundred yards to any creature. It would have a lot more variety of mineral content dissolved in it than a pool of chlorine that the bees would like. My guess would be that there is a hive closer maybe even a feral hive no one knows is there.

Take some old rags and rip strips into them, dip the strips in blue chalk (chalk line chalk) and staple over the entrances of the hives first thing in the morning. The chalk is harmless to the bees and will mark all your field bees long enough to see if they are going to the pool.
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast