Smile Hobby beekeeper from Albert Lea, minnesota

After many years of raising children I have retired and returned to "hobby" - level beekeeping now that I have more time to devote to it.
    I hate the thought of using any medications, and so, I am glad to find a group that can help me with the questions that will arise as the season progresses.
    If there are any members close by in Southern Minnesota it would be great to compare notes on hive performance, etc.
    One neat part of this hobby now is having some hives in my own backyard.
    The downside is the weekly mosquito spraying.
    Happy to visit with anyone starting out. I've made a lot of blunders, which is a good way to learn valuable lessons that "stick."

Just FYI.....

It is very costly to buy new equipment (although I kept my 4 frame extractor.)
    After 3 years into the project I am convinced that the bees of the 1970's/80's were much more productive!
    The bees of today are slow to draw out comb on new foundation and much slower to store up excess honey. I am guessing that it could be a combination of mites and my moving 50 miles away....and the county feeling the need to spray the clover in the ditches.
    Last edited by Lonnie61; 07-01-2011 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Wasn't done yet

Default Re: Hobby beekeeper from Albert Lea, minnesota

We're in our second year of hobby-level beekeeping. We had pretty good luck with one of our two first-year hives--two full supers.

We used ApiGuard without doing a check for mites. We seemed to have no mite problems. We're using a screened bottom board on one of the new hives to see if that makes any difference. I also build a stand out of 2x4 and build it so that the bottom board fits over it.

Lack of healthy habitat is at the top of my list of large-scale bee problems. The shortage of bee-friendly forage and the overuse of pesticides appear to lead the way to weak, disease- and pest-prone hives.

Welcome! Come to the SE Mn Beekeepers Mtg every month in Rochester. Private message me with your email address, and I'll have you added to the email list.

Hi, Lonnie61!

It's good to have another Minnesotan on the forum!
    -Phil Domeier
    www.nowthenhoney.com

Welcome!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com