Default Queening in a nuc box

I started about 5 wk ago with a nuc box with brood and eggs caped honey and no queen. about 2 wk later I added a second nuc box with plastic frames mixed the two. ok just opened up today and had a queen cell in the top nuc at the top of the frame had capped drown cells. but they have not drawn out any new cone on the plastic cells? Do I have a queen in the making? Do I need to change out the plastic frames and put in wax frames? or do I move them into a hive box with wax frames> Thanks for the information

Default Re: Queening in a nuc box

I have to spray my plastic foundation with sugar water to get the bees to start on them. Even then sometimes they will not. I use some plastic and some all wax with wire.

If you added open brood to a queenless hive then you should have a queen in the making. It takes about a month more or less before you will be likely to see brood from a new laying queen. In the mean time if you can get it - it would be good to add another frame of brood every week or so until you are sure you have a laying queen.

You should see a capped queen cell about 5 days after making a hive queenless and giving it brood that it can work with. In 5-6 days (more or less) that cell should open and a queen should emerge. If it has really been 2 weeks you should be seeing a queen cell that has opened - with a round hole on the bottom, and maybe a trap door hanging on it. If you still have a capped cell after 14 days I would check back in a day or two, and if it is still capped - it's a dud, then you really do need to give them a new frame of brood.

Good luck.

Ok I did change out the plastic frams and put in wax foundation maybe they will like it better