Thread: raising queens

Default raising queens

I am going to try the queen raising kit from mann lake where you put the queen in the cage. after i take the cage out and put the queen cells on a frame to be capped, can i put the cell bar frame in a nuc with a couple frames of brood? are there enough bees to make queens?

Default Re: raising queens

no, its needs to be absoulutly packed with bees. You can use a nuc box, but its nees to be packd with bees, then some. If you think you have enough put some mor ebees in there.
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

The more the better, but bee's are not the only variable. It helps if you have a good flow and pollen coming in. I don't like to think of things a single variable equations. If you flow is on, and the pollen id good, you'll be alright with something less then packed full.

You want the nuc absolutely packed with nurse bees; I try to get at least 3 lbs of bees shaken in. Another method is to start about 8-9 days prior to placing the cell bar and load the nuc up with 3 or 4 capped brood frames with adhering bees. Check often for cells and get rid of any cells on the brood frames. When they emerge you'll have all the nurse bees you need. The night before placing the cell bar give the nuc a full frame of honey and a full frame of pollen, remove the now empty brood frames and close them in with screen over the entrance. Make a few slits in the honey with your hive tool to get honey exposed. Next day place your cell bar between the honey and pollen frames. I've been placing a frame of foundation in also as the bees build less burr comb around the cells if they have the foundation to keep them occupied. Let them percolate overnight and move the cells to a cell builder next day or leave them in the nuc and open the entrance. If you leave them in the nuc then add some more capped brood to fill out the nuc.

fishstik, can i feed the nuc sugar syrup thru a hole in the lid to set a jar in upside down like the boardman feeder? or do i need a frame of honey, i put 4 full capped frames with bees in a nuc last night, and want to put in the queen in the egg laying tom. they are bringing in pollen.

I don't know about that. It sure doesn't hurt to feed them while they're nursing the cells, in fact, many recommend it. I've just always used a honey frame in the starter. I've tried feeding while the cells are open but I can't see any difference in the quality of the queens. On your nuc; it can take up to 9 days for the capped brood to emerge so I would seriously consider shaking more bees in it. If you shake bees off of open brood frames you will be getting good nurse bees. I would shake them on the day before introducing your cell cups and let them go queenless overnight; the next day they'll be going crazy to get a queen and they''ll cover those cells by the thousands.

Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF