Default Adding to the bottom????????????????????????

I had a laying worker hive which I just shook out the bees in front of some of my hives.I now have a deep super with 10 frames of drawn out comb with a ton of capped drone larva.I cut the tops off and put it in the freezer.I have a swarm that is in a single deep and a medium.My question is can I add the drone super to the bottom of the swarm hive.The reason I would like to add it to the bottom is I want to keep the deeps together and its a mess and it will easier for them to clean out.

Default Re: Adding to the bottom????????????????????????

This must of been such a dumb question I received no reply's. I went ahead a added it to the bottom. Thanks anyways !

Since the deep is mostly drone size cells, I myself might have put it under the medium super, on top of the current bottom deep. The reason is, drone cells are also honey storage cells, so the brood would be in mostly bottom box, the the upper deep and super would be honey storage for over winter. With the box on the bottom, you're going to end up with a lot of drone cells in the bottom box of brood nest.

Ray,

I too suffered the same problem, where the laying workers were busy creating Drone Cells. They created the Drone Cells on cells that originally contained worker brood. The Drone Cells appear bigger. So if a new queen is inserted, she is going to create drones in these cells?

This is my 2nd year and im not sure but I think they are still worker brood cells.The reason I say that is all of the drones that were capped were a lot taller than any I have seen.I was hoping they were still worker cells thats why the drones was sticking out more less room.Hopefully someone can tell me if i am right but most likely im wrong.

I'm with you, if laying workers started laying in cells that where already drawn out as worker cells. they are still worker size cells.
    You're bees would probably clean it up a lot faster if you put the box on top of the broodnest.
    I'd uncap the cells, & spray gently with a garden hose on the stream setting. Most of the brood will come out. Then let the bees clean it up.
    Dan

Laying workers make miniature drones, shorties, if you will, from laying in worker cells. Sometimes they do mess up the cells in a frame, and I'll recycle the frame out and up to be extracted at harvest, or set it out to be robbed back and and then melted down.