Default Sundance Pollen trap Problem

I have two bottom sundance bottom traps. Last year 1 hive figured out how to work into it, and brought in about a quart a day for 3 weeks. The other trap got moved to 3 different hives and they never got it.

This year I've moved both traps to 2 different hives and no luck. I've put them on turned off, or opened for a few days and then closed them with no luck. I have tried just putting it on in collect mode and nothing.

I closed or turned both on when I left town friday and came back Sunday to several thousand dead bees in front of each hive.

Unless someone knows a trick to help the bees, I'm going to have to bag it. Its killing to much field force.
    I'm not tense, Just terribly, terribly alert!

Default Re: Sundance Pollen trap Problem

I can't imagine what is wrong other than they aren't installed exactly correctly. Otherwise, why would there be so many dead bees. Curious. Have you checked w/ the Manufacturer?

"Hey Lloyd!! One of your traps is messin' up or something."
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

There dead because they couldnt get back in and got to cold. they have to walk all they way into the trap to the back, then go up a little and walk all the way back to the front, they just don't figure it out. Other than maybe seeding the back corner with honey I cant think of a way to help them out.

I know 1 trap can work, it did last year, the other ones never worked , you cant mess with them there stapled together tight.

I'm sorry you are having difficulties. As you said, one trap worked very well last year and even that trap is not working this year. I suspect that there is a problem that is not trap-related.

You think that the bees may have died from the cold...I really doubt that. A friend of mine decided to deal with a hot hive by taking the outer and inner covers off one winter; figuring the cold and wet would kill the hive. We always have several nights below zero, and average 30-50 inches of snow. In the spring, he found that the hive survived just fine and was as mean as ever! In a similar vein, on many occasions I have had hives tipped over by kids on snowmobiles, by bears, and just by accident. Even when the hive bodies get separated, the one with the queen usually survives. So, it is unlikely (I think) that cold killed your bees.

Just for the record, the bottom-mount Sundance trap lets the bees enter along both sides, across the back (as you said) and across the front! These entrances are not terribly obvious, but they are there and readily used by the bees. Moreover, the bees move into the brood nest by going through wire that extends almost all the way across the width and depth of the hive. That feature is very important as it assures that the pollen is well distributed across the pollen drawer and is not deposted in one or even a few clumbs that are likely to compact and mold.

With the symptoms you describe, I'd look for insecticide damage.

Best of luck,

Lloyd
    Lloyd Spear, Owner of Ross Rounds, Inc. Manufacturers of round section comb equipment and Sundance Pollen Traps.

I dont think 1,000 bees will survive 3 nights at 40 and raining. I'm not looking to slam the traps , one worked super last year. With 12 other hives around them and no dead bees not sure if spray would do it, but someone could of targeted these 2 hives.

There was a little pollen in the front left corner of one like they walked in 2 inches and dropped there pollen. Seems theres no trick to get them to work. I'll try them again next year.
    Last edited by BGhoney; 06-30-2011 at 10:47 PM.