Default Swarm that Changed its mind!

Was out in the driveway yesterday, which is clear on the other side of house from where my bee yard is, when I heard the buzzing like iv'e never heard before! Looked in that direction and saw a cloud of bees! This was first swarm I personally have ever witnessed. Last year, both 2 hives I started swarmed about this same time of year, but was not home at the time. Anyway, I started realizing after watching them, that they were going back to the hive and clustering on the front of the hive. Eventually they were all back in. Meanwhile, I had ran and put on veil and lit smoker and grabbed a medium super with frames, and an inner cover with notch, and piece of plywood to go under it to block oval hole in inner cover, and this was going to be my bottom board, LOL, if I was lucky enough to spot queen and put her in. But since I didn't, I opened this hive, and added this medium super to hive. Was strange because I had just checked all 4 hives the day before and didn't think space was an issue.
    Now everybody says swarms are usually gentle, and maybe is the case once clustered on a branch or whatever. But I'm here to tell you, me and my daughter was in front yard watching the bees in the air, not in the bee yard, and both of us were being harrassed by a rogue bee. Maybe a few were mad that the swarm decided to go back to the hive, I don't know.
    Here's a link to some pics I took and posted on my facebook site. Happy Beekeeping!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ds-Mou...56267194430331

Default Re: Swarm that Changed its mind!

Occasionally a swarm will return to the hive, but only temporarily. Sometimes it's because the old queen can't fly, in which case they will leave once some virgins emerge from the queen cells. If they are in swarm mode, adding an extra box won't make much difference, they are still planning on swarming. Time to find the old queen and make a split.

I had one hive this year that "swarmed" once on a Saturday morning. I went outside and watched. Pretty neat to be right in the middle of it. Thing is though that after a while the cloud of bees started getting thinner but the cluster of bees on the front of the hive started getting bigger. Next thing you know, they were all marching in. That afternoon, the same thing happened. Sunday morning they did it for good, ending up in the apple tree 25 feet away.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Finally got around to splitting this hive today after pulling honey. Far as I know they hadn't tried to swarm again. Tons of bees, and around 4-6 queen cells. Caught myself with not enough equipment AGAIN, so had to improvise. A few pics here....
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/m...56267194430331
    Now time to go extract, ahhh yeahh!