Default Choices in frames and wax foundation

Hello, I've got an established hive with Pierco plastic frames that the bees don't seem too impressed with. I need to get another hive and was going to try wax foundation for comparison. I first went to W. Kelley and found lots of choices-- solid, grooved, slotted, top, bottom... no clue which is preferable, or even what the other mail-order people sell without giving me choices. Any guidance?
    thanks, Greg

Default Re: Choices in frames and wax foundation

All will have choices of grooved , wedged top bar if you are useing plastic foundation you need groved but if you are useing wax you need wedge to hold the wax in place, when you use wax you will also need to corss wire to hold in place that is why I use all plastic.
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Hi Greg,
    I've been really impressed with Kelly's Slotted top, grooved sides and bottom frames. After they're assembled you slide the foundation down through the slot in the top frame. The foundation is in the groves on the sides and bottom. Very quick.

I, too, am a fan of the slotted top frames, mostly because those frames are built like the proverbial brick house.

However, and this is a huge problem I found with them, you have to cross wire the frames. Last year I had 90% of the brood frames bow to one side or the other. As you can imagine, chaos ensued. As I progressed through the season, I tried the pins on the ends and it didn't work.

So this year I cross wired the two middle holes, one wire on one side, the other wire on the other side. Beauty and perfection resulted. It is easier to wire them after you slide in the wax sheet.

As for plastic, adding melted beeswax is a MUST otherwise the lack of it seems to cause a lot of stubborn balking.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725