Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Blowing bees from supers

I'M VINDICATED!
    Odfrank, you do landscape right? so you already have the blower??? Gas, big deal. tank up before or chunk a can in the back. I am a lawn guy/landscaper so its easy for me...noise...this blower is one of the quieter ones on the market. You can carry on a conversation when blowing at a low speed.
    mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    As the hive numbers grow, the leaf blower becomes onerous.
    Our buddy from Manning w/ 3,000 cols uses blowers, Herb.

Isn't it Michael Bushs' tag line that reads, "Everything works if you let it."?

Kingfisher, thought you were going to drop this Thread, 'cause of the beating your were getting.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Our buddy from Manning w/ 3,000 cols uses blowers, Herb.

Isn't it Michael Bushs' tag line that reads, "Everything works if you let it."?

This is one of those "Ask 10 different beekeepers a question and you will get 10 different answers"!

So Chuck uses blowers.... that must be a heck of a sight!
    Last edited by hpm08161947; 06-28-2011 at 04:39 PM.

Yeah, a big truck, a Bobcat, pallets and 6 or 8 fully suited beekeeper laborers attacking 40 or more colonies. Oh yeah, and two blowers. Deeps and mediums.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Yeah, a big truck, a Bobcat, pallets and 6 or 8 fully suited beekeeper laborers attacking 40 or more colonies. Oh yeah, and two blowers.
    Wow.. I can only imagine what that must have looked like. Wonder what was louder.... the blowers or the millions of bees in the air. Did he have Lynn B. out there with a blower on his back? Talked to Lynn just this morning, did not know he had moved the Queen operation back to NYS.

So Mike can choose his own poison, for us... I will take the silence.

Lynn is too busy w/ Queen Rearing. He has his own bees too, I believe.

It looks pretty effective to me, and those bees were just kinda skidding across the concrete - probably no worse than stopping abruptly in grass. I would do it before I would use the extract of vomitus stuff.

Were you holding the camera with one hand? Actually a pretty good video. And if you built from 2 hives to 20 last year you must be doing something right. I thought I was doing good going from 2 -10 last year. I'm up to almost 40 last time I counted though. Mostly nucs though.

Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    It looks pretty effective to me, and...if you built from 2 hives to 20 last year you must be doing something right. I thought I was doing good going from 2 -10 last year. I'm up to almost 40 last time I counted though. Mostly nucs though.
    Could go up to 500 tomorrow if I wanted to count them as nucs....splitting is the easy part...

Squeeker...I never drop anything
    Yes the camera was in one hand...it was actually my android phone filming in high def but the video only came up as 480...oh well
    500 from what?
    mike
    Like us on Facebook

Mythomane, for the record I did do a hive inventory and i have 32 hives. That is after losing a ton of bees/hives to efb. Up to close to 40-45 by the end of this week (have Canadian queens coming in) ...70-80 this fall. \
    Mike
    Like us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher Apiaries View Post
    Mythomane, for the record I did do a hive inventory and i have 32 hives. That is after losing a ton of bees/hives to efb. Up to close to 40-45 by the end of this week (have Canadian queens coming in) ...70-80 this fall. \
    Mike
    We are going into the dearth and you are splitting? Are you on some kind of Ag? I hope so. 80 by the fall? Unless we get a great fall flow you are going to have very weak nucs heading into winter. Frankly, I would worry less about counting your hives than building them up. Keep in mind: Strong hives. One good hive can beat 50 weak hives any day. As far as Canadian Queens....are you kidding? Why are you not buying BWeaver stock? You are close enough to pick them up! Insanity....

Look hard and long at this before you do anything:

http://www.plantmaps.com/interactive...onitor-map.php

Quote Originally Posted by mythomane View Post
    Look hard and long at this before you do anything:

http://www.plantmaps.com/interactive...onitor-map.php

My goodness, is anything left living there?

Under these conditions I would assume Mike is making his increase by feeding... and then feeding some more.

Once again casting judgment against someone without all the facts.
    1. My queens are coming and I have no choice...its called feed and frames of feed that i have laying around. I wanted them this fall but i had no choice.
    2. I am on liquid sugar agriculture
    3. Yes 80 by fall. I make fall nucs that kick the rears off of the previous spring's nucs. They make more honey.
    4. Who said I am going to make weak nucs?
    5. YOU were the one wanting a hive count- "If you cannot be bothered with a simple hive count, you are probably not going to be bothered with keeping the contaminated comb and frames, etc."- In a previous PM
    6. Again, who said that they will be weak hives
    7. Canadian Queens- http://www.fergusonapiaries.on.ca/ - the best buckfast money can buy coupled with some hardy texas buckfast. Its a stinking experiment for crying out loud!
    8. Beeweaver? Lets not go there. There are always better options that cost less.
    9. You think i drove to CANADA! No way..I had a friend in NJ get them and then forward them via usps express.
    10. Don't call me insane...I have thought this out long and hard and experimented to find the best way. Quit picking at me without conclusive evidence backed up with experience.

My business is built off of sugar syrup if that is what you want to know...honey flow is a plus but not necessary.
    Mike
    Last edited by Kingfisher Apiaries; 06-29-2011 at 10:36 AM.
    Like us on Facebook

If you are going to call people who order canadian queens crazy then you need to call a lot of other people crazy (including fellow texans) that are useing them and or have ordered them. I will now have 5 lines of buckfast here at the house. Rweaver (watered down by me/neighbor), Russell Apiaires, and 3 lines from up north.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    Like us on Facebook

Looks fine to me. Years ago I worked next to a migratory beekeepers yard on 288 south of houston. They used blowers as well, and several truck loads coming and going when they were doing it. I enjoyed the free honey
    "...Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones..." Proverbs 16:24 KJV

Thanks Barry
    mike
    Like us on Facebook

we also use blowers as do most commercial beekeepers in our region

7. Canadian Queens- http://www.fergusonapiaries.on.ca/ - the best buckfast money can buy

Mike
    Just curious. What did those babies cost you, including shipping? And could they have been the source of your EFB? Or hadn't you had them long enuf?

A number of Posters, such as Mike Palmer and others, work to grow Queens Loacally so thery are better fitted to where they live. What made you go the other way?

Uh Mark they just hit texas yesterday...they will be ready for p/u very soon. So no they did not bring me anything.

I do, but i Need to reinforce my buckfast genetics...I want to have a "purer" strain of it...shoot I will have as pure or maybe purer strain of buckfast than RR and some other breeders.
    Like us on Facebook

My business is built off of sugar syrup if that is what you want to know...honey flow is a plus but not necessary.
    Mike
    Mike, I am not criticizing your operation, just curious. Since you are feeding a fair number of nucs (I gather) on sugar - do you have an economical source of sugar? In this area sugar is running around .56 a pound so to build our replacement hives we purchase totes of HFCS. Of course you may have philosophical problems with that. Again... just curious... not criticizing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast