Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Cool Re: Blowing bees from supers

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher Apiaries View Post
    Nope...none at all were dead or injured...i looked today.
    mike
    You checked each bee for injuries? You killed quite a few I am sure. Escape boards work. No chemicals. No dead bees. Easy.

Default Re: Blowing bees from supers

Uh no but the hive looked good...If there was going to be dead bees there would have been a lot and they just were not there.
    Escape boards=SHB

I am about done posting as I always get told I am wrong.
    mike
    Please check out the new kingfisherapiaries.com!
    Like us on Facebook

#1 Rule in beekeeping-Do what works for you despite what others say.
    Mike
    Yer the one who started this when you posted the youtube video. You thought folks were just going to say "Looks 'bout right."? And that's all?
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

In mike's defense, he is not the only one that uses a blower.. if blowers would have been available back in our day, we would have certainly given it a shot... but pop was cheap and got a good giggle out of seeing us bust our ***** day in and day out..."separates the mice from the men" was his reasoning, and he was right... I work my guys harder than most, but I take great care of them in return... efficiency in a large operation is important for more reasons other than monetary return... mike is a good beekeeper and I'm happy to see someone his age being so devoted... I especially loved his pics of his fight with efb... goes to show that he cares more about the overall health of his bees than his bottom dollar and number of hives... we all have different takes on things, that's what makes the forums so powerful, so long as we take things subjectively...
    Last edited by rrussell6870; 06-27-2011 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Yer the one who started this when you posted the youtube video. You thought folks were just going to say "Looks 'bout right."? And that's all?
    No i though people would think it was a good idea...BECAUSE IT WORKS! It only takes once to get that stupid honey robber or bee go on your suit and you will never use it again. I did the honey robber and i still had bees everywhere...this gets all of them out.
    One thing I ought to mention- this blower has like 750 cfms...there is plenty of air on the ground for the bees to float on. I can jog/walk swiftly down a sidewalk and have it totally blown off. Its really powerful.
    Thanks RR for the post.
    mike
    Like us on Facebook

Oh, I do not blame you for doing it your way! I would just like to suggest that it may have to do with the number of hives you are dealing with. When you have a few hundred hives to gather supers from it can be a real pain. I also wonder if you are using a standard fume board. We have 10 fume boards and when we go into a yard we place the boards on and by then the first one is ready to gather. Then we place the first board on the eleventh hive and get the second and so forth. Really very quick. And few bees in the honey house. So I suppose I am wondering just how you were applying the Butyric acid. We have done both and there is no competition. So you are correct... do it your way, but keep an open mind.

Mike, we gotta pick on someone!

At one time I did the blower thing as well. I can't imagine doing it this way if you're going to work up to a few hundred hives. If you do, I'd feel better if you would blow them out over grass instead of concrete, even if not a one was hurt. Just looks really bad.
    Regards, Barry

I am beginning to think everyone is jealous. I would like to have a race with someone. Lets see who can remove bees fastest from 20 supers (10 hives) in a row. The someone would need to provide the hives with supers as we have no honey here.
    LOL
    Barry...I know you have to pick on me! I have a long list of the folks that pick on me...THAT HAVE NEVER WATCHED ME WORK BEES OR SEEN MY OPERATION! Come out, look, and then criticize me.
    mike
    Like us on Facebook

Careful, I'm known to look members up when I take road trips. Southwest is about due for one.
    Regards, Barry

Bring it on! All you need is a veil, long sleeve shirt, and jeans...no gloves
    Mike
    Like us on Facebook

#1 Rule in beekeeping-Do what works for you despite what others say.
    Mike
    Not to pick on you or anything, but are you sure what you are doing is working? You have kept bees since 2007, and have around 30 hives, (many of which are filled with a commercial beeks frames) have EFB, and no honey and we are headed into the 2 month dearth. From your posts, it seems you tend to ignore common sense advice, and when pressed as to why, you whine about people ganging up on you.

Escape boards=SHB

I am about done posting as I always get told I am wrong.
    mike
    What in your experience leads you to believe this? Is this just something you read or have you had problems using this method?

I do have things that have worked. I do listen. I went from 2 hives to 20 last year. I made 90 bucks a gallon on honey. Not getting much honey is not my fault this year. EFB is not my fault..it HAPPENS! Pesticides are not my fault, they happen every year and i am trying my best to do something! I will admit i have had a negative attitude lately and am sorry for that. I have had a lot of business related stress (non-beekeeping) and a lot of decisions I have had to make.

MANY ARE NOT FILLED WITH A COMMERCIAL BEEKS FRAMES! As a matter of fact, about half are wired wax, 40% are new plastic that i have been working in, and maybe 10% are old frames THAT CAME IN NUCS! Yes i did use some old brood combs this year as it was all i had.

I may not have listened to some of the advice in this thread...but i do listed in other threads. Beesource has shaped the way I do beekeeping. I am sick of people making assumptions about my operation based on my internet posts! If you want to gripe about what i do, come over for half a day, look at all my bees, and then come on here and trash everything i do.

I have seen/heard too much about what happens in un-occupied supers.

So when are you coming?
    Mike
    Like us on Facebook

bee go vs. a blower did you want to race mike? three weeks ago with three guys we were pulling 1000 supers a day from 9-5. had to stop at a 1000 thats all the semi trucks could hold every day. Give a fume board a try again mike your back and ears with thanks you of course you parents and girlfriend might not lol.

regards Nick

I am sick of people making assumptions about my operation based on my internet posts! If you want to gripe about what i do, come over for half a day, look at all my bees, and then come on here and trash everything i do.

Mike
    Then why are you making internet posts about your operation? You may be reading the internet too much and need to take a break. Quite frankly you sound hypersensitive.

At $90 a gallon, honey must be in real short supply in Texas, wish we could get that.

Mike
    I use a blower and I am just a little guy (in # of hives that is) and I have used escapes and they work if there isnt any brood in the supers but then you gota lift every thing 2 times and it takes 2 days and I have never had supers as clean of bees as with useing a blower.

I have had this coversation with other keepers and they worry about the fumes from the engine (I am useing a leaf blower) I have it set up so the exhaust is blown to the side of the supers (like a fart in a wind storm any way) so what it amounts is DO IT YOUR WAY, and the rest of the guys can set in the truck
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Quote Originally Posted by honeyman46408 View Post
    Mike
    I use a blower and I am just a little guy (in # of hives that is) :
    I think that is the distinction in this thread. Less than 100 hives and one can do it pretty much anyway you like. As the hive numbers grow, the leaf blower becomes onerous. Mike has expressed a desire to grow to significant numbers I believe, hence other larger commercial beekeepers were telling him their experience.

But you are right.... Do it your way! Lettem sit in the truck

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    Then why are you making internet posts about your operation? You may be reading the internet too much and need to take a break. Quite frankly you sound hypersensitive.

At $90 a gallon, honey must be in real short supply in Texas, wish we could get that.
    I am not over sensitive. I have had member(s) repeatedly attack me for what I do and do not do. Some of them are local guys which really bothers me. I really do not spend too much time...I have tuned down what i have been doing.

90- gallon- small jars....this year it will be closer to 110 a gallon.
    Like us on Facebook

I have used the brush. I have used the pad. I am not making ASSUMPTIONS ABOUT DIFFERENT METHODS!
    This blower does not blow any fumes...it blows them away from you back...and it does not smoke as it is brand new. It does come with a price though.

Mike
    Like us on Facebook

use what works for you. If you get to the point where are leaf blower just aint cuttin it, then you can switch to fume boards. geesh, talk beeks and opinions.
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

I have blown bees off about 2.5 tons of honey annually for over 30 years. It works well, does not involve stinky chemicals but is obnoxiously noisy. You also have to carry a gas can in the truck. My bees are spread over various locations, so only at one do we blow for more than 15 minutes. I can see that on a large scale fume boards would be advantageous. I don't see that blowing kills very many bees, and their work for the year is finished at harvest time anyways.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast