Thread: castor oil bush

Default castor oil bush

Any one familiar with the castor oil tree? I am seeing what looks to me like a lot of bees foraging in a small cluster of castor oil bushes/trees. Does any one know if these trees produce a good honey?
    I have access to a property that has a lot of this bush. Would it be a good idea to place a hive there, and allow the castor oil bushes/trees to grow to help with hive growth and honey production?

thanks for any help.

Default Re: castor oil bush

The seeds are poisonous and probably other parts of the bush.

In the Dominican Republic it is called aceite de higuereta and it is used to treat parasite in children and it is very effective. A tea is made from the leave and the child consumes it and good bye parasite. I don't think the nectar from the flowers makes bad honey.

Minneapolis, MN soon to be Grenada, Eastern Caribbean

Male and female flowers are borne on the same plant. Seeds are poisonous (p. 98 Barlow 1993) and is cited in Lindtner, P. (2014). Garden Plants for Honey Bees. Wicwas Press, LLC. via Gardening with Confidence as a low pollen and nectar source. Crane never mentions it. Honey should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by caribbeeman View Post
    Any one familiar with the castor oil tree? I am seeing what looks to me like a lot of bees foraging in a small cluster of castor oil bushes/trees. Does any one know if these trees produce a good honey?
    I have access to a property that has a lot of this bush. Would it be a good idea to place a hive there, and allow the castor oil bushes/trees to grow to help with hive growth and honey production?

thanks for any help.

Minneapolis, MN soon to be Grenada, Eastern Caribbean

Do you have a bee plant list for there? I'm currently working on one for Grenada.