Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sad Mann Lake medium frames and Mann Lake wax foundation

I've been having problems with the wired with hooks wax foundation I purchased from Mann Lake fitting the frames I purchased from Mann Lake. The foundation is too tall. The bottom bars I'm using are grooved. You would think that a company would make sure their products fit together. When I called about it, the rep told me they have this problem every year or 2. They then readjust the foundation mill and things are okay for awhile. No apolgies, no sorry for your troubles. I'm having to cut wires and trim wax on every sheet of foundation. I like the free shipping from Mann Lake, but with this lack of quality control, I think they've seen their last purchase from me. Hand trimming 300 sheets of foundation is a pain in the butt! FYI, the foundation was purchased at different times, so the problem has been going on for awhile. Anyone else having any issues like this?

Wisnewbee

Default Re: Mann Lake medium frames and Mann Lake wax foundation

What? Did they offer to mke it right? Every time I had a problem they offered to fix the issue. Trimming 300 sheets of foundation is NOT an option.

I'm surprised you would get that kind of response from Mann Lake. I would ask to speak to a manager and go as far up as I could to get it resolved. They've been excellent in my experience in customer service. Their stuff isn't the best, I'll say that but it's good enough relative to my budget.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

We encountered the exact same problem with frames and wax foundation with crimped wire that we purchased from DADANT last year.

There is no need to use crimp wires, I find them a nuisance. I use GBB and GTB horizontal wired with no hook foundation. No need to remove a cleat and easier to renovate with no nailed in cleat. Nailing a cleat over the hooks is overkill in my opinion. Be careful / go slow on the first extraction if you are using deeps for honey frames, our thick honey can make an occasional pullout from the grooves if the wires are not tight enough.

Hello from Coastal California, I had the same issue with foundation I bought from Dadant this year. First year beekeeper first time ordering from Dadant. I have bought from my local supply store and did not have foundation issues fitting properly. I do prefer free shipping and feel more supply stores should offer option when you meet a $$ amount. My next order will be from Mann Lake for comparrison with other products I have purchased.

On another note, I have caught 4 swarms this year one from my singal hive and 3 others from swarm calls I have received the phone keeps ringing for swarm removal here on the coast. All hives are building up fast. I went from 1 to 5 hives in 2 months.

They did not make any attempt or offer to make things right. The Reps response was such that you'd think this was a regular thing, and to be expected. I had used Dadant frames and foundation earlier in the year and if fit beautifully. I guess all the big supply houses could stand a little better quality control from what others are saying.

RAWMAWTAW, what's taking you so long? 1 to 5 in 2 months? That's why I'm doing so many frames right now. I went from 2 to 14 in a month. 11 were from swarms.

Just kidding about what's taking so long! Way to go!

Wisnewbee
    Last edited by Wisnewbee; 06-26-2011 at 01:19 PM. Reason: added comment

If you have a access to a paper cutting guillotine the kind used by teachers and such. These work great for trimming wax, even with the wires. I use an old one that we have and cut starter strips for foundationless frames.

JMTC

Joe
    Joe and Heidi S.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    There is no need to use crimp wires, I find them a nuisance. I use GBB and GTB horizontal wired with no hook foundation. No need to remove a cleat and easier to renovate with no nailed in cleat. Nailing a cleat over the hooks is overkill in my opinion. Be careful / go slow on the first extraction if you are using deeps for honey frames, our thick honey can make an occasional pullout from the grooves if the wires are not tight enough.
    I don't know why you guys go through all of that. Why not just use plastic foundations like Pierco or Mann Lake?

(I'm going to catch hell for this post)
    Last edited by Charlie B; 06-26-2011 at 05:06 PM.

I'm going to be switching to Pierco myself. The labor savings will be huge!
    Wisnewbee

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie B View Post
    I don't know why you guys go through all of that. Why not just use plastic foundations like Pierco or Mann Lake?

(I'm going to catch hell for this post)
    Better yet - why even use foundation? Foundationless is the way to go
    Jim Andersen
    Desert Viking Ranch

Unless you're running your frames through a high speed extractor. Without wires or plastic, the comb flies apart. My frames with vertical and horizontal wires aren't strong enough to go in the commercial beek's extractor that I work with. He is spinning so fast, my frames would explode. He uses only plastic foundation. I'm just trying to use up the last of my wax foundation before switching to Pierco.
    Wisnewbee

Had the same problem just put toether 300 of them, i just ran the bottom bar over the table saw and made the groove just a bit deeper , took no time at all,

I had the opposite happen with Betterbee frames and foundation. It was barely long enough to go into the groove in the bottom.

I got 2 25lb boxes of deep foundation last year from Mann Lake all of it was 3/8ths of an inch short after fussing with about 30 of them I finally called they offered to replace the whole order, the offer was good enough for me

I had the same thing happen to me at Dadnt but they were short by about 1/2 inch. I now use Ritecell from Mannlake and don't have any problems anymore.
    "How do you expect to get by in life if you're not precision!"

I have never had an issue with Mann Lake. This surprises me. They have always been awesome to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Viking Ranch View Post
    Better yet - why even use foundation? Foundationless is the way to go
    That's ideal but some of my hives don't get it and they build really crazy comb so I started putting in a plastic foundation frames in every other space and they get that and do a great job. But I got lazy waxing the starter strips so I just put in plastic now. Some hives build on it faster than others but haven't had any problems so far.

When I was at Mann Lake's "bee day", I was visiting with some people about this same issue. I was told, that because of the discrepancies in the "wired" foundation, that when you order frames for it, be sure to request wedged top bars and "divided" bottom bars. I am told this will completely alleviate any problems you have with foundation bowing....Hope this helps!!!

Oh yes-- crappy divided bottom bars, aka propolis traps. So their answer was literally change your equipment and method of doing things so they can continue to produce products with "discrepancies."

There's a supplier I won't be doing business with.
    4.5 hives of Italians. 2 seasons of experience. And you-- yes, you! You're my mentor!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast