Default wat wood to use for bee equipment

i build a nuc box today using old bee boxs but bottom board an inner cover i used cedar an pine but why cant i use spruce most lumber stores here just have spruce

Default Re: wat wood to use for bee equipment

Nothing wrong with Spruce!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

thank you very much! i used the 5 frame nuc blue print off here it turned out beautiful. i would also like too thank the person whom put it up! thank you very much beesource.com
    Last edited by roaddog; 07-13-2011 at 11:46 PM. Reason: had wrong info

so cedar is ok to use for any part that makes up a hive(super, covers, bottom boards)?

cedar is like looking for a needle in a haystack here unless you order it in

well my uncle has several boards that he let me have. They are either 1x8 or 1x6. I planed them down to 3/4" thick and was going to make a 5 frame nuc from the plans on one of the threads here. I might attempt to make a medium super after that. I guess they need to be 1x8 for that. I can't remember how wide they are. I almost want to make something else because when you plane them, they look tons nicer. He has alot so thought it wouldn't hurt to make a few things for the bees.

the cedar an pine i could find were a few chunks of 4x4 but now that i know spruce is ok it will much easyer.i really enjoyed making it! am thinking my head off why i thought spruce is not good for bees

The cedar we have around here splits too easily to make it durable for bee box purposes.

white pine is very good wood. cedar is to expensive. cypress is better if you want to pay. red pine is cheaper but it wont last as long. good paint will protect any wood if you take care of it.

I doesn't matter what kind of wood you use, as long as you do something to protect it from the weather. Use what you can find and afford. You can use plywood if you have a cheap source. I have cypress and pine and neither one lasts very long in the humid south without paint and maintenance. I'm going to an all-nuc system and may use plywood to build them unless I can buy them cheaper already cut.
    Banjos and bees... how sweet it is!

I use spruce and/or fir to make all my deeps and medium supers. I use 1X10 for deeps and 1X8 for supers. Rip one into 3/4 strips and add screen bottom boards. Several coats of paint later they last a long time. The spruce and fir both drink paint. I can build two deeps and two mediums for $17.

psisk
    Last edited by psisk; 07-24-2011 at 01:01 PM. Reason: add to post