Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Removing Drone Brood in a KTBH

Deeanna,

I stand corrected. I took the information I was told at face value. Sorry, but I should have researched myself. Thank you for correcting me. I cannot argue with UF.
    Peaches
    The Beekeepers Friend

Quote Originally Posted by buckbee View Post
    ...I am more and more inclined towards the 'do as little as possible' end of the spectrum, and I think that removing drones wholesale unbalances the colony...FWIW I think drones are much more important to colony health than is generally acknowledged, and should be allowed to thrive.
    I agree with you in essence, Phil. But there's a line between a minimal approach to mite control and a box full of dead bees, and it's in a different place for each geographical region and each genetic variation in bees. Finding that line is the challenge. We have a closed border to bee imports here in Nova Scotia, which makes real experimentation with bee breeds quite difficult.

Last year, I did nothing to control mites. By the end of the summer the ground outside the hives was covered with hundreds and hundreds of bees with DWV, and as a result the colony populations crashed just as the cold weather was hitting. Mite loads were huge by October.

I don't think anyone really wants to treat or do anything to combat varroa. Let's face it; it sucks. On the other hand, it makes no sense to watch the bees die when I'll have to turn around and buy new bees of the same genetic stock in the spring...

Adam

That is certainly a tough choice.
    The Barefoot Beekeeper http://www.biobees.com

Hey, Peaches, no reason for you to feel corrected. I'm just a beginner beekeeper who started two TBHs this spring and reads too much. I have so little personal experience at this point, it's rather embarrassing. Just glad I could help.

Sometimes us old beekeepers get to thinking we know more than we actually do and it is good that we are called on it periodically. Keeps up on our toes.
    Peaches
    The Beekeepers Friend

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12