Default Sneak Peek - New bottom board from H.Thomas Krantz Beekeeping Supply

We're now field testing a new bottom board before we make them available to the consumer. I just wanted to put it out there and see what you guys think as well. I've always thought landing boards were kind of annoying because they added another piece of wood between the bottom board and the stand itself. I know that there are a lot of people that really like landing board because they want to give their bees a large area to land on. Well this is what I came up with as an alternative to the landing board. By design its still an IPM screened bottom board that will accept a solid insert as well as mite test boards. The landing section is CNC cut so it doesn't have that "home made cut by a jig saw" look. I'm thinking they will retail for around $18.00 to $20.00.

Let me know what you think.

Default Re: Sneak Peek - New bottom board from H.Thomas Krantz Beekeeping Supply

I like it immensely ---and I also like your price. You have read our minds , and it's a deal at that rate. ..Go for it !
    LtlWilli

Default Re: Sneak Peek - New bottom board from H.Thomas Krantz Beekeeping Supply

Where's the "like" button?
    Dave Faulkner. Zone 5b
    Third year beek in awe of these bugs!

The platform is to big. skunks will love it.

It is aesthetically pleasing.

Looks very nice, but I agree with Ray4852 that the platform is really too big. Bees really don't need a platform, so why use the extra material? I guess if your target customer is the garden hive owner, then it may have a market, but the semi-circular shape just seems unnecessary.

It does look nice. Could I recommend routering out a groove a couple of inches from the entrance. That way if you hive is not perfectly level, water will not collect and spill back into the hive...the groove will divert it to the sides

first of all that is a rodent paraidise with a platoform that big, second of all, they dont really need a landing board at all. A hole works fine, and a standard bottom board works fine. In europe they have some bb with no landing platforms and it works out just fine. So the bigger landing board is pointless, unless it is a garden hive type of person who thinks they are giving their girls "the best", when they dont actually care.
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

Looks beautiful, however I drastically cut my small hive beetle numbers by eliminating landing boards entirely last year.
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Of course bees do not need a landing board. I personally don't have a single hive with a landing board but every year I get people asking for them. Its mainly for garden hive people who are interested in look as well as the "best" for their girls.

Quote Originally Posted by ryandebny View Post
    It does look nice. Could I recommend routering out a groove a couple of inches from the entrance. That way if you hive is not perfectly level, water will not collect and spill back into the hive...the groove will divert it to the sides
    I was thinking of a water groove but I was too afraid that it would weaken the support for the lip and over time crack off. If it were to be used the end user would have to set at a slight angle to aid water runoff to the front.

If you don't cleat or box the landing board projection it is almost sure to cup on exposure to the elements. If/when it cups up you are likely to get ponding at the entrance without the afore mentioned groove.

I'm sure you will find a niche market for these. They are very appealing to the eye, but while I have small landing boards on all my hives, bees in the wild don't use a landing board.

Looks great for a hobbyist to show off in a garden. I get what your trying to do but it's also a great landing board for mice, lizards and beetles. I would make the landing board a bit smaller in circumference so your unsuspecting customer, (who will probably be a newbee), won't have additional problems other than they don't know what they're doing yet as a beekeeper.
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org

You do nice work.

Now the mix of negative and positive.

That size landing board is out of proportion to the hive.
    It will get bumped anytime someone works around the hive.

The way the grain runs it will break off.
    Turn the board ninety degrees, cleat at the bottom frame, make sure the bark side is up(no ponding), tilt the hive forward slightly and it might last.

Since you have that fancy piece of equipment, you could do the side half of an elipse just as easily.
    Wouldn't stick out as far, less wood needed, more in proportion, neat look.

Second thought maybe I'll do it.(after my nap)
    I don't have a CNC, but I can do a perfect radius, or elipse with my router and some homemade production jigs.

You guys are adding to the hobby beekeeping experience.

Goodluck
    Push, Pull, or get Out of the Way

The idea is both decorative and to some degree useful.

The only issue that I have off the bat would be snow. That is one heck of a good snow ledge.

In my area, I have yet to see beetles...but ants are a pain.

Sloping the hive forward a few degrees will take care of the rain...else the screen will.

Will there be a slot for a mite board under the screen?

I always work my hives from behind, so I doubt I would ever bump in from the front.

Neat idea...I would just worry about the snow trap.

I'll throw some crazy ideas out there. I, too, wondered about the skunks liking the ledge. However, if it is spring hinged, skunk or heavy snow MAY not be a problem. Or................why does the ledge have to be wood? What about screening in such a way as rain, snow or hungry skunks are not a problem??!

Another idea. How about keeping the large ledge and having it such that if a skunk hops on it that the entrance (wire screening) closes due to the weight so the skunk does not get his meal.

Lightbulb Re: Sneak Peek - New bottom board from H.Thomas Krantz Beekeeping Supply

Now that's an idea, spring hinged! That way you can have the urban gardener look without the pest landing board issue. It would also alert the bees at night once it sprung back that there's an unwanted visitor.

Bee Bliss, your a genius!!!
    President, San Francisco Beekeepers Association
    www.habitatforhoneybees.org