Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: honey Vodka

Default Re: honey Vodka

http://homedistiller.org/forum/

good chat room for home brew, not so pleasant as here, but what do you expect from moonshiners
    Last edited by falls pa; 06-27-2013 at 11:06 AM. Reason: info correction

Eliahu, would u be willing to give up ur wal nut cognac recipe?

So we had a batch of meade that turned out 'not so good'. Something I learned years ago from making wine, the best brandy comes from a rather poor wine. So I did a little shopping online, found one of those countertop 'water distillers', and ordered it. I guess I accidentally put 4 liters of the 'not so good' meade into it this evening, and what can I say but WOW that end product is nice.

Going to find a small oak cask this weekend, see if we can start ageing it. It's a pretty harsh brew right now, expected when it's fresh out of the still, but a year in a cask will sure turn this into something to behold me thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by grozzie2 View Post
    So we had a batch of meade that turned out 'not so good'. Something I learned years ago from making wine, the best brandy comes from a rather poor wine.
    Thanks for the hint.

I made a batch of pyment a couple of years ago. I used honey and macerated Catawba grapes. It came out OK, if you like the taste of a handful of Sweet Tarts dissolved in water as a beverage. So I let it it sit there in the basement to see if it would improve with time. It improved, but still way to sweet and way to tart. So based on your post, I ran it through my still last Friday night and stripped off a liter of 160 P brandy (I assume it would be called brandy). Watered back to 80 P and took a sip. Never had anything come off that smooth right of the bat. I am bringing some to the Super Bowl party tonight to share.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Quote Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
    Thanks for the hint.

I made a batch of pyment a couple of years ago. I used honey and macerated Catawba grapes. It came out OK, if you like the taste of a handful of Sweet Tarts dissolved in water as a beverage. So I let it it sit there in the basement to see if it would improve with time. It improved, but still way to sweet and way to tart. So based on your post, I ran it through my still last Friday night and stripped off a liter of 160 P brandy (I assume it would be called brandy). Watered back to 80 P and took a sip. Never had anything come off that smooth right of the bat. I am bringing some to the Super Bowl party tonight to share.
    Nice, honeybees are not the only thing that gets cranked up in the spring......... come on spring. G

Quote Originally Posted by biggraham610 View Post
    Nice, honeybees are not the only thing that gets cranked up in the spring......... come on spring. G

The Brandy was a big hit. I only brought a pint jar that was shared among several people. Everyone thought it was super smooth for being less than 48-hours old. At least I know what I am going to do with all those grapes that I have been letting rot on the vine.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
    So based on your post, I ran it through my still last Friday night and stripped off a liter of 160 P brandy (I assume it would be called brandy). Watered back to 80 P and took a sip. Never had anything come off that smooth right of the bat. I am bringing some to the Super Bowl party tonight to share.
    Ok, I've never really played with a still before. Mine came out very smooth, but, it's strong, so the 'watered back' comment peaks my interest. Please elaborate.

FYI, one of the things I discovered in researching the concept. Most countertop water distillers have a 520 watt heating element, and will do 4 liters of distilled water in 4 hours. Most of them come from the same manufacturer, and are just rebadged to various different names. On the manufacturer website, it says, using a typical countertop unit with 520 watt heater is to hot for doing alchohol or essential oils, but, for that they have another model. Same unit, but only a 300 watt heater. This one takes 16 hours to do a full 4 liter batch of distilled water. And in case anybody asks, I bought the water distiller because I need a source of distilled water for preparing slides when doing nosema tests for the bees And my wife wants to experiment with distilling some essential oils. In absolutely no way was anybody contemplating it's use for other purposes

Last time I was in the local wine supply store, they had a few cute little 1 liter oak casks, so we are going to stop by this week and buy a couple, then let this age in the cask, see how it turns out. Was originally in the plan for this weekend, but, we didn't get by there yet.

Get an alcohol hydrometer. They are cheap and come in really handy:

http://www.hillbillystills.com/alcoh...uip_p/ampr.htm

Your local wine/home brew supply store should have these in stock. It will tell you exactly what the proof of your product is. If you get 160° and you want 80° (80° to 86° is what you want), just cut it in half with water and there you go. You will also need to pick up a tall graduated cylinder to float it in.

Aging is a must. You can take somewhat less than optimal product and make it smooth and drinkable with toasted oak and time. Of course the better going in, the better coming out. If you thought your product was good right at the start, you are really going to like it after it ages. I don’t have a cask and use medium toasted American white oak chips.
    I don’t know much about stills with internal heating elements so I can’t help you there. It sounds like you are on the right track though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Not sure, but she is visiting Poland now and will be bring me back the recipe and video of making it.
    please post it

Stumpy lake bee farm

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Congratulations.... You have just confessed, in writing, to a comitting a fedral felony, AND posted it in a public forum.
    You can make a certain amount for personal use legally.

>>You can make a certain amount for personal use legally.

Not true in the USA, not even in North Carolina.

You can make a certain amount of beer and wine legally, but home-brewed distilled spirits (unless denatured*) are illegal without a Federal license.

See: http://www.ttb.gov/spirits/faq.shtml

* denatured means deliberately contaminated as to be unusable for human consumption.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 02-20-2015 at 10:25 AM. Reason: clarify in the USA
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

What make/model is the 300 watt one and where did you get it. I don't drink by one of my daughters is aNaturopath who tinkers with natural medicaments...it would make a great gift for her.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grozzie2 View Post
    Ok, I've never really played with a still before. Mine came out very smooth, but, it's strong, so the 'watered back' comment peaks my interest. Please elaborate.

FYI, one of the things I discovered in researching the concept. Most countertop water distillers have a 520 watt heating element, and will do 4 liters of distilled water in 4 hours. Most of them come from the same manufacturer, and are just rebadged to various different names. On the manufacturer website, it says, using a typical countertop unit with 520 watt heater is to hot for doing alchohol or essential oils, but, for that they have another model. Same unit, but only a 300 watt heater. This one takes 16 hours to do a full 4 liter batch of distilled water. And in case anybody asks, I bought the water distiller because I need a source of distilled water for preparing slides when doing nosema tests for the bees And my wife wants to experiment with distilling some essential oils. In absolutely no way was anybody contemplating it's use for other purposes

Last time I was in the local wine supply store, they had a few cute little 1 liter oak casks, so we are going to stop by this week and buy a couple, then let this age in the cask, see how it turns out. Was originally in the plan for this weekend, but, we didn't get by there yet.
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

Quote Originally Posted by WBVC View Post
    What make/model is the 300 watt one and where did you get it.
    This is the one we got.

http://www.thewaterguy.ca/catalog/vi...da4b-p-492.htm

MH-DA4B is the model number.

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    >>You can make a certain amount for personal use legally.

Not true in the USA, not even in North Carolina.

You can make a certain amount of beer and wine legally, but home-brewed distilled spirits (unless denatured*) are illegal without a Federal license.
    I believe New Zealand is the only country where it is legal to distill alcohol at home.

It is definitely not allowed in the US.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345