Default my apple wine plan

Chime in, my first time making wine. Last night I added Camden to 1.5gl raw cider, today I will add 1qt honey, dissolved in two quarts of water and 1/4tsp pectic enzyme then champaign yeast packet. Ow and 1/2gl leftover mulled cider to add. I will put all in a 5gl bucket with an air lock. How does this plan sound? I do have more honey.
    Thanks Willie

Default Re: my apple wine plan

I don't think you have enough honey or sugar in there.
    3 1/2 lbs of honey per gallon makes a 12% wine.
    Also, you might need to let it sit for a bit longer before adding the yeast or the Campden will kill it.
    I usually add Campden and wine stabiliser (Potassium Sorbate) once fermentation is over.

Leave the water out or replace it with more cider would be better. Make sure you cider or mulled cider have no sorbates or sulfites added for preservatives. I would suggest lavlin kiv-1116 for yeast. Just about as high alcohol production as champgne yeast but it is drinkable faster.

When I use Campden tablets (sodium metabisulphite) it is to sterilise equipment or to kill off wild yeasts in a must made from chopped apples.
    The must is generally left for 4 or 5 days before straining and getting the selected yeast and extra sugar added. Pure apple juice fermented would produce an alcoholic drink around 4% so extra sugar is needed to make a wine.
    Last edited by jonathan; 11-28-2014 at 11:49 AM. Reason: typos

Thanks, I will put in two quarts of honey to keep the % up. 12% I would want for a minimum, so maybe some extra yeast food. I only have the 2gl total of fresh natural, no preservative cider including the mulling my wife did. I was going to use the water to blend in the honey and give me a little more product.
    Thanks
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by captwillie View Post
    Thanks, I will put in two quarts of honey to keep the % up. 12% I would want for a minimum, so maybe some extra yeast food. I only have the 2gl total of fresh natural, no preservative cider including the mulling my wife did. I was going to use the water to blend in the honey and give me a little more product.
    Thanks
    Willie
    The fresh natural is great but I have made excellent cyser (mead from apple juice) out of Sams club juice with no preservative. Not advocating just saying if you want to fill that carboy, that is a way to do it. Another suggestion, if you have darkened burned honey from melting wax, use it in your mead. THE Carmelized portion won't ferment and adds complexity and sweetness which won't be there if you use a champagne yeast and you allow it to ferment out dry.