Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post my honey has turned

can anyone help me. my honey has turned clear and taste like whiskey. anyone ever tried honeyshine boy let me tell you, its so good id take it over corn anyday. also found out I can mow the yard with it yes it runs my riding mower lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Barry; 09-19-2014 at 05:15 PM.

Default Re: my honey has turned

your going to go blind....... LOL

Quote Originally Posted by freeswarmremoval View Post
    can anyone help me.
    What kind of help do you need? Looks like you'll have a Ball (that's what it says on the jar lol).

just being funny I guess. but I don't think ill go blind ive sampled it pretty heavy last night. and I had a ball lol

I can help you for sure. Send it all my way. I'll dispose of it.
    South Florida, 9 hives, TF, foundation free, slatted racks, bottom entrances, zone 10b

Quote Originally Posted by phersbees View Post
    your going to go blind....... LOL
    It's something else that makes you go blind, but it's fun too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim KS View Post
    It's something else that makes you go blind, but it's fun too.
    I wouldn't mix the two for sure.

my recipe was 250lbs (or about 20 gallon) of honey to a 130 gallon of water and pinched yeast. worked super fast and totaled 20 gallon finished, it taste like any other MS but When you let off it you get a pretty strong honey taste but its not sweet at all. I filtered it thru 2' of activated charcoal in a filter I made from 1.25 in pvc. that make it much cleaner tasting for sure.

a side note it may just be me but I swore I smelt honey when I burned it in the lawnmower. how cool would it be to make a beemobile that ran off honeyshine. maybe my work van paint it up like a queen bee put a stinger on back wings on top and with the honey smelling emissions no one would ever forget you. might bring more bee relocation work.

Thanks for your honey liquor recipe. What style redneck juicer did run it through? Did you lose much honey essence after the charcoal, or just the heads/tails offness?
    Starting on my second year, lots of learning still to do...

Quote Originally Posted by maudbid View Post
    Thanks for your honey liquor recipe. What style redneck juicer did run it through? Did you lose much honey essence after the charcoal, or just the heads/tails offness?
    mine is a SS beer keg with a turkey fryer burner and a 1/2" worm. worm is in a 30gal berral with water hose for cool water. i run mine close to 190 deg. the charcoal did take from the honey taste but made it much smoother to drink. but if you want more honey tatse you can put a few drops of honey in each qt. only thing about that is it clouds the shine. i taste mine as it come out, about the first qt and a half i poured out. as for the tails i stop about the time is hits about 80 proof. then mix all togeather and proofed it with a sprits proofer. mine came to 155, but i might bring it down more with distilled water.

Quote Originally Posted by freeswarmremoval View Post
    I wouldn't mix the two for sure.

my recipe was 250lbs (or about 20 gallon) of honey to a 130 gallon of water and pinched yeast. worked super fast and totaled 20 gallon finished, it taste like any other MS but When you let off it you get a pretty strong honey taste but its not sweet at all. I filtered it thru 2' of activated charcoal in a filter I made from 1.25 in pvc. that make it much cleaner tasting for sure.

a side note it may just be me but I swore I smelt honey when I burned it in the lawnmower. how cool would it be to make a beemobile that ran off honeyshine. maybe my work van paint it up like a queen bee put a stinger on back wings on top and with the honey smelling emissions no one would ever forget you. might bring more bee relocation work.
    probably the best thing i've ever read on beesource.....thanks.
    I'm the dude, so that's what you call me.

This post has been hacked by moonshiners. Pathetic...

Do you have a smaller volume recipe?

Yo' Freeswarm, You may wanna try taking about 4 gal. of that bugjuice and put it in a 5 gal. glass carboy with about a quart of toasted oak chips. Don't put a stopper in it, just cover it loosely with a bit of Al foil. Should be just right in about a year or so.

Better keep it locked up. Other beeks might come over and rob it. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Retroguy View Post
    Better keep it locked up. Other beeks might come over and rob it. LOL
    exactly my plan.....
    I'm the dude, so that's what you call me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
    Yo' Freeswarm, You may wanna try taking about 4 gal. of that bugjuice and put it in a 5 gal. glass carboy with about a quart of toasted oak chips. Don't put a stopper in it, just cover it loosely with a bit of Al foil. Should be just right in about a year or so.
    Toasted Oak is a blessing. I always put away a batch with oak off the pot regardless if its corn, rye, or a bourbon recipe I use. The oak makes it very smooth and ads a great finish. Don't have enough honey to try a batch but will on the horizon. Enjoy. G

Depending on your locale, it may be harder to find white oak, but it is important to the finished product that you use white versus red. The red leaves an unusual flavor. Some folks liken the taste to cat pee, I don't have very good tastebuds but it does taste "off" to me. I'm in Florida, and white oak is hard to find, I had to get a stash from Virginia where it was all over the place.
    Funny this appears here now, as I may or may not have just started feeding some yeast on honey and water myself...

i got enough hobbies and now you guys are going to make me add moonshining to the mix. lol

That would get pretty oaky pretty fast. Figure surface area of a 53 gallon barrel and the surface area of a quart of chips and on only four gallons! I would be tasting it at least once a week! Why do I KNOW that! Must be my Scots ancestry. Hereditary knowledge or something!

QUOTE=Dave H;1166225]Yo' Freeswarm, You may wanna try taking about 4 gal. of that bugjuice and put it in a 5 gal. glass carboy with about a quart of toasted oak chips. Don't put a stopper in it, just cover it loosely with a bit of Al foil. Should be just right in about a year or so.[/QUOTE]

as a Kentuckian i have to ask... has anyone tried making enough to fill a bourbon barrel and letting it age that way?

Lots of 1 to five gallon charred white oak barrels for sale but it doesn't take long to get a lot of oak as so much more of the liquor is in contact with the wood. Surface area. They are pricey.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast