Default Why don't queens sting??

I'm a new beekeeper, three years, 15 hives. I'm allergic to bees, have to carry an epi pen everywhere, but I love doing this and I am really carefull.

I have heard and read that you can handle queens without being stung, but yet I know queens have a stinger. I have read it is not barbed like the workers which allows her to sting without dieing, (killing other queens).

Can anyone out there give me insight into why when you handle queens you don't get stung? Is it when they are laying they can't sting?

I actually hand caught one of my queens about two weeks ago and could not do it with gloves, so I took my gloves off and used my hands, didn't get stung, but I was really nervous.

Default Re: Why don't queens sting??

Queens very rarely sting because if they always put themselves in danger trying to sting everything that it would put the colony at risk of losing its queen far more often than normal.

Has anyone ever heard of a beekeeper being stung by a queen??

Quote Originally Posted by losloboid View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of a beekeeper being stung by a queen??
    Yes. This Spring our association did a group purchase of queens. When I arrived to pick up my queens a couple of the beeks were talking about one of the guys getting stung by a queen while holding her cage.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls, and looks like work" -- Thomas A. Edison

They can and do sting, though I haven't been stung by one yet. What would be the benefit for the reproductive part of a hive to defend the colony? Seems like putting the whole colony in danger, if queens responded by stinging as easily as workers do.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

When you mark a lot of queens you will be stung by a queen and repeatedly. The difference is there is no barb on the queens stinger so she can sting you many times without her guts ripping out.

Does the venom still enter without the barbs? I wouldn't think it would have enough time. When you get stung by a worker and the stinger gets left behind it keeps pumping venom. So if the stinger doesn't get left behind does the venom , if any, enter your system?

Lots of stinging insects (wasps, bumblebees, yellowjackets, hornets, etc.) sting and inject a good dose of venom without a barb on their stinger. You might not get as much from a queen as you would from a worker, but I bet a queen could give you enough to get your attention.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 06-22-2011 at 03:49 PM. Reason: UNQ
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls, and looks like work" -- Thomas A. Edison

stung during artificial insemination, real surprise!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

>Has anyone ever heard of a beekeeper being stung by a queen??

Jay Smith sold thousands of queens a year for many decades. He says he only got stung once by a queen:

"The queen will never sting a human being, while if you think the workers will not, you come with me. As stated, a queen will never sting anything but a rival queen. I might qualify that statement by saying a queen never stings anything but a queen, or what she thinks is a queen. I was stung by a queen once but I insist it was a case of mistaken identity, for she thought I was a queen. It happened thus: I had been requeening some colonies and in removing the old queens I killed them by pinching them between my thumb and finger. I had wiped my thumb and finger on my trouser leg. A virgin queen circled me a few times probably to adjust her bomb sights then made a pin-point landing on the spot where I had wiped my thumb and finger, and planted her sting in my leg. Yes, she thought I was a queen. While greatly appreciating the compliment, I would much prefer she would show her appreciation in a less militant manner. "--Jay Smith, Better Queens

http://bushfarms.com/beesbetterqueen...%20the%20Queen

I have seen them go through the motions as if they were going to sting me, but have never been stung by one.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasBeekeeper View Post
    stung during artificial insemination, real surprise!
    I bet she was thinking the same thing.

It is much like swollowing an air mattress and then inflating it...trying to tie ones shoe is a hard trick as are eggs to a laying queen.