I'm a new beekeeper, three years, 15 hives. I'm allergic to bees, have to carry an epi pen everywhere, but I love doing this and I am really carefull.
I have heard and read that you can handle queens without being stung, but yet I know queens have a stinger. I have read it is not barbed like the workers which allows her to sting without dieing, (killing other queens).
Can anyone out there give me insight into why when you handle queens you don't get stung? Is it when they are laying they can't sting?
I actually hand caught one of my queens about two weeks ago and could not do it with gloves, so I took my gloves off and used my hands, didn't get stung, but I was really nervous.