Default Honey Bees and Heroin?

I found this image on the web with the caption, "Bee keeping Pashtoon style," with no other explanation. It is in Afghanistan. Cool image, but I wonder, does the Taliban need honey bees to pollinate their opium poppy fields?

http://elkscommunity.files.wordpress...toon-style.jpg
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 06-21-2011 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Image larger than rules allow please read posting rules

Default Re: Honey Bees and Heroin?

I'm not sure about this picture, but honeybees do love the pollen from opium poppies. Poppies do need to be pollinated to produce large seed heads (point of opiate extraction) and seed.

I love the way the beekeeper uses rocks to try to level his hives. Must be more rocks than flat spots to set them. The entrances must be on the up hill side, cause I don't see any from this view point.

I don't see any Poppys.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Actually, those are mating nucs owned by a colleague named Aziz Kharbouch. Gave him the idea for the western threeways several years back, and he is one of the few that has managed to get perfect takes when having all of the entrances on the same side. The rocks are his way of changing the "shape" of each box as seen from above, so that mating queens can find their nucs better, and also serves as a way to let the water escape when it rains, because he uses fence planks to make tops and they shrink and swell quite a bit. There is no poppy in that area, its all goats and sheep. Lol. His main flow is wild thyme and a native weed that he calls (ducath sp?). He is an entomologist that studied in Europe and currently is running a few cooperative studies on excessive pollen hoarding. Great guy and very unique.

I saw a large mating nuc yard like that this spring, with all the nucs tilted at odd angles off a pallet. So this was to give the queens a visual orientation as to what nuc to return to once mated? Pretty cool anyway.

That's correct. Imagine a queens view as she returns from a mating flight to a colony in a tree as she approaches the top of a forest canopy... the isometric view of the canopy top becomes a map for her to follow... the same is true for queens returning to a cavity in stone along a mountain side. Works pretty well.

So where are the entrances? Up near the covers? I don't see any.

They are on the front, set at different heights (1" holes). Each entrance is different and a piece of scrap wood is nailed randomly to the front to give a different look to the front of each box... this is so the queens can better tell which hole is theirs... the pic shows them from the back... I will see if I have some pics of the fronts when I return from the field... if so, I will post them here.

From the field? What, you workin'? lol What does the Boss think about that?

Yup. Lol. She wasnt too keen about the idea, but I asked her to swing by the office and take a look at the emails and call numbers for me... when she returned, she simply sighed and said, "so what dinner foods do you want me to put in your cooler?" Lol. (For those that don't know, I camp in the distant mating yards while working them, so we eat steaks and potatoes cooked on an open fire almost religiously lol.)

Dr. Wife is a good one... always worried, but always supportive... I'm lucky to have one that understands the demands of this field, other women would have jumped ship long ago.