Thread: Am I Queenless?

Default Am I Queenless?

I inspect my hives weekly, if not 2 times a week, while I am still learning.

For the past 2 weeks I have not been able to find a queen in one of my hives.

There doesn't seem to be any new laying activity, and the colony is beginning to store honey instead of filling out new frames. The colony has been stuck on the same 5 frames for two weeks without any additional frames being filled out.

The particular colony that I am speaking of had/has a queen that was/is very skiddish when I would smoke the hive. I would always find her in the bottom corner surrounded by her workers. It was always a chore finding her as opposed to my other hives where the queens would be working right on the frames through the inspection.

Should I lay off the smoking in this hive until I can confirm whether or not she is there?

What should I do?

Default Re: Am I Queenless?

I had a similar problem last year. I loved inspecting my hives and would try to find the queen every time I inspected. My hive went queenless suddenly. I didn't have any eggs, I had no new brood. It seemed she disappeared. I then realized I accidently squashed my queen when putting her frame back in the hive. That was a great learning experence for me. I now just look for eggs and brood pattern, while being very careful not to crush bees when putting the frame back in the hive.

This year I also had a similiar Issue. The queen just stopped laying eggs. The hive was strong, no problems, she just stopped laying. I talked to an old beekeeper and he said it was not uncommon in my area for the queen to slow down laying eggs when the weather started getting extremly hot. She stopped laying or slowed down for about a week. After that time, she started laying again like normal.

I'd suggest, just relax give it a few days. Inspect in a few day in look for eggs, if theres not any eggs get a frame of eggs from another hive and install it in your hive. The hive will know if they are queenless and will make a new queen if necessary.

Re-read Hoxbar's post. Don't make finding the queen a primary objective of inspections, look for brood in all stages, good laying pattern, stores of honey & pollen, etc.

Queens often lay based on what is coming into the hive, when a main flow stops, they cut back. Check back in a week, if you see eggs/open brood, you know you have a queen. If not, add a frame as Hoxbar suggested.

Thanks