Default Current Retail prices for honey and where to buy containers

I have honey to extract and need to know the current prices.
    Also need to find good,,not expensive containers.

Bee Happy

Default Re: Current Retail prices for honey and where to buy containers

Price is all local but you can look in the bee mags for some guidelines or check in your supermarket and add a premium for being local. Mason jars from big box stores on sale are best bet for small amounts. You can also find them at yard sales, auctions etc. For plastic Blue Sky Bee Supply in Hiram, OH seems reasonable and you should be fairly close for shipping.

Check the bee mags they usually have the retail and wholsale prices by region in them.
    As far as jars it depends what your looking for there are a number of other threads with discussions on jars just do a search.
    Pete

Ben,

Most glass pint and quart jars that you can pick up from yard sales and or get you neighbors and family/friends to give to you will make good containers. Wash them in your dishwasher. If there are any rust spots or chips/cracks after washing, discard them in the trash. Safety and good looks are what you are looking for.

Plastic jars (NEW ONLY) make fine containers, but you need to get them from bee supply companies or straight from the manufacturers. Plastic will absorb the taste and smell of whatever is put in the container and does mess up the smell and taste of honey. ae; milk, mayonnaise, pickles, catchup, you get the picture. Remember you want repeat costumers.

This is from Bee Culture magazine (June 2011) for your region plus the national average:
    1/2 pound $2.77 - $3.26
    12 oz plastic $3.45 - $4.08
    1 pound $4.12 - $5.25
    2 pounds $7.62 - $8.31
    pint $7.34 - $7.37
    quart $10.33 - $12.24
    5 pounds $16.68 - $19.25
    1 pound creamed $5.18 - $6.18
    1 pound cut comb $7.41 - $7.08
    Ross round $7.67 - $7.32
    Klamath Basin Beekeepers Association: www.klamathbeekeepers.org
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/groups/kbbafb/

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post
    I have honey to extract and need to know the current prices.
    http://www.honey.com/nhb/industry/industry-statistics/

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post
    Also need to find good,,not expensive containers.
    http://www.sailorplastics.com/index.php?cPath=22
    "I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." Nathan Hale, 1776

bee cultuture puts the prices to low in my opinion. I can sell sell 10lbs of honey a day, and 7 bucks a pound without to much effort. You'll get people who like "real honey", and never had it before. Those people with then buy more and more.I know some people, that they bought two 12ozer of honey from me. The next year I had honey, I sold them 3, one pound bottles, and few bears. Well, their family gets wind that my honey is at there house, and the family takes most of it. So, the people with the robber bee family bought all I had with me at the time.
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

I was at the "Crawdad Festival" in northen California last weekend and I was shocked at the asking price for honey at the vendor booths! One vendor was selling various flavors of honey in 2lb jars for $19.95 each. Another was selling his in 9oz jars for $5 each. That comes out to $9.98 and $8.89 per pound, respectively. It wasn't even local honey. I was talking to one of the vendors and he said he buys it in bulk and repackages it. They must be selling it, or they wouldn't be there, right?

Yepper, people are hungry for local and home grown products.
    To bad this guy doesn't follow our Farmers' Market rules. No reselling allowed. We only want local and self produced products. The market managers make sure and visit each farm that applies.

Saw a veggie peddler on a road side selling honey from a friend of his for $8. -1/2 pint $12 .-pint(1 1/2 lb.) and $18. for Qt. all in mason jars. Don't know if or how much he sold. Jim
    Stop and smell the flowers, 50,000 ladies can't be wrong
    Bsweetapiary@aol.com

That's crazy repacking and selling it as their own. Guess that is why people like to buy from me knowing it's really local. $10 per pound. Easily sold out 80+ pounds in a month.

Quote Originally Posted by REN View Post
    I was at the "Crawdad Festival" in northen California last weekend and I was shocked at the asking price for honey at the vendor booths! One vendor was selling various flavors of honey in 2lb jars for $19.95 each. Another was selling his in 9oz jars for $5 each. That comes out to $9.98 and $8.89 per pound, respectively. It wasn't even local honey. I was talking to one of the vendors and he said he buys it in bulk and repackages it. They must be selling it, or they wouldn't be there, right?

I will be setting my price @ $12 a LB for treatment free honey. I think I am going to sling some in the next week or so.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries