Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

What to do with drone larvae?

18K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  sevenmmm 
#1 ·
Got some culled drone brood? Don't discard them -- I learned they can be used creatively in cooking. Jeff, the author of this video, wrote: "Cooking Hachinoko Fritters from unwanted drone comb from bee hives. Tastes great." For the recipe, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EecacV6mFuc

#3 ·
Apparently "Hachinoko" is eaten in Japan, but I do not know how the Japanese use it in their cuisine. I would imagine brood eaten raw might not be especially yummy -- probably rather bland. The fritter recipe had drone larvae and pupae (mostly white), about the same volume of fresh sweet corn kernels, shallot, green onion, minced garlic, egg, flour, salt, and a homemade chile sauce. The brood was there as a protein source, but I imagine the sweet corn, onion, garlic, and chile sauce provided the dominant flavors.

#7 · (Edited)
Mmmmmm, Ray, sounds like that was an "interesting" experience!

Someone posted to this thread (but for some reason the post is not showing up here) that they use bee pupae for fishing bait. That's not exactly a recipe, I suppose, unless you want to count it as an ingredient required to catch a nice supper. But it is a good use for pupae that might otherwise be discarded.

I look forward, MichaBees, to hear about your cooking experiment. I am very curious to learn if cooking changes the flavor of the brood vs. raw.

#10 ·
I was just looking at my first potential brood combs and had planned freezing them for fishing bait!

Otherwise, I'm sure the chickens would know what to do with them.

I would imagine pet lizards would think frozen drones would be a godsend! Not having to buy crickets all of the time? That would be wonderful for the caretaker, as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.